MotionData after disconnecting the SpaceNavigator?

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

zess

MotionData after disconnecting the SpaceNavigator?

Post by zess »

Hello,

I developed a Labview Interface for the Space Navigator, at the end I realized that Labview got motionData although I disconnected the USB cable for serveral times.
At first I thought this might be a Labview Problem, but it is also in your Demo Programm. New Data are shown very quickly until I disconnect the Device, than it shows 2-3 seconds old(?) data.

I need to get TX,TY... =0 directly when the USB Cable is disconnected. Is this possible? What is the problem that I got motionData after disconnecting the device for many seconds?

best regards, zess
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi zess,
Are you using our COM interface?
Nuno Gomes
zess

Post by zess »

I think I´ve got the C interface, which I downloaded from your website with the Demo 3Dx Test32, I changed the C Code a little bit and created a DLL with Visual Studio, which I use in Laview.

I`ve signed up for the webinar tomorrow... I know, that you can use the COM Interface directly in Labview 8.2.

Is the C Interface the problem?

zess
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi zess,

No, the C interface should not be a problem. It is fully supported by 3Dconnexion but we do ask developers to first consider the (newer) COM interface.
The COM interface is installed with the driver since release 3.1. You can find the documentation on the SDK page.
zess

Post by zess »

I downloaded the Cube3DPolling.zip from your SDK area, compiled it.... than I tried the same thing: disconnected the usb cable during the test, but the cube rotates for several seconds, although there was no mouse connected....
zess

Post by zess »

ngomes wrote:Hi zess,

No, the C interface should not be a problem. It is fully supported by 3Dconnexion but we do ask developers to first consider the (newer) COM interface.
The COM interface is installed with the driver since release 3.1. You can find the documentation on the SDK page.
ah okay, didn`t see your post...
i will download the new one and try again...
zess

Post by zess »

well... the problem is still the same. is there any idea how to solve?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Well, we certainly have never had anyone try doing that before. Yes, it does keep sending data for a second or two before the disconnection gets noticed. Fixing this would require changes to the driver.

Is there a particular reason why you are yanking the cord out of the machine? Perhaps there is a better way of resolving your issue.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
zess

Post by zess »

hello jim,

I tried it, because this may be an error in the application area. I thought abouth something like "stumbling over the cable"... any uncontrollable second could be fatal. At the moment I solved the problem with a switch which had to be pressed in order to get data from the space navigator, this switch is connected to the LTP port.

Is there an easy way to change the driver? Is there a cache? What has to be done? how does it work?

zess
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi zess,

If this is a life threatening situation, I'd have you switch all your code over to using the HID client interface and take the driver out of the loop. It is much more work on your part, but you would have quicker access to the data.

Jim