Support 3D mouse for development on Mingw/QT/VTK/Windows

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

zhaoyongyi

Support 3D mouse for development on Mingw/QT/VTK/Windows

Post by zhaoyongyi »

Hello,
We bought a space mouse wireless and try to integrate the control into our software(actually the 3D object in QVTKWidget).

Our software is built on Mingw/QT/VTK/Windows. As noticed the native support of VTK/3DConnexion Devices, we follow the steps 1a->2b in "How to program it" section at http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/3DConnexion_Devices_Support. After applied the code 1a and 2b, the 3D object in QVTKWidget can only be zoomed in/out, and no more MotionEvent is accepted. Is there anything we missed?

As Visual Studio is listed in the support platfom, is this workable to support the device in mingw/VTK/QT/Window evironment with the same way of MSVC? Or how we should do to supoort the 3Dmouse?

Anyone can help?
Thanks in advance!
UtaSH

Re: Support 3D mouse for development on Mingw/QT/VTK/Windows

Post by UtaSH »

Moved this to the developer forum as it is a topic for our developers.
zhaoyongyi

Post by zhaoyongyi »

I'm trying to compile VTK5.8.0 with TDx support. It returns me the error saied "can not find atlbase.h".
After download and copy atlbase.h to project, the new error is
"J:\Software\vtk\vtk-5.8.0\vtk-5.8.0\Rendering\vtkTDxWinDevice.cxx:46:48: error: progid:TDxInput.Device.1: No such file or directory"

My development environment detail as below:
Win7 X64
3Dx driver for Windows X64
3Dx SDK,
VKT 5.8.0
QT QMake version 2.01a, Qt version 4.8.0
mingw32

Anyone can help?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi zhaoyongyi,

When compiling against the 3DxInput type library, you need to have it registered on the build system.

Normally, all you need to do is install 3DxSoftware on the build system.

You can also point directly to the 3DxInput implementation dll. See this for more information on that.
Nuno Gomes
zhaoyongyi

Post by zhaoyongyi »

Thank you ngomes for your response.

Yes, I indeed installed the 3DxSoftware at the first moment when I got the mouse, before compling the code.
I think the 3DxSoftware was installed properly, because the demo applications work fine(Jet, Viewer).
The file name I installed is 3DxWare64SPP_v10-0-19_r1683.exe. Is this the right one?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi zhaoyongyi,

File 3DxWare64SPP_v10-0-19_r1683.exe should install the 3DxInput COM server as the 3DxSoftware package. If you have an issue with 3DxWare 10, please try the latest 3DxSoftware (version 3.17.7).

Both packages have support for 3DxInput (implemented in file TDxInput.dll).
zhaoyongyi

Post by zhaoyongyi »

Hi ngomes,
I think the 3DxInput COM server is installed and registered fine, because it's ok to compile and run the demo code of 3DxTest WITH MS VISUAL STUDIO. But it will fail to complied the same code on my Ming/gcc/Win7 environment.
I'm wondering if the complier, for me it's MingW/gcc, is the point of issue. Is there any experience of compling 3Dx demo code or using VTK native 3Dx support on MingW/gcc?
Is it possible to send me some code, that can be compiled with MingW, if you have?

Thanks for your help!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi zhaoyongyi,

I'm sorry for not replying any sooner. Somehow your request fell through.
I'm wondering if the complier, for me it's MingW/gcc, is the point of issue. Is there any experience of compling 3Dx demo code or using VTK native 3Dx support on MingW/gcc?
We do not use MingW/gcc. On Windows, we only test our software and samples with Microsoft development tools.

Other developers have investigated how to integrate support for 3D mice in programs complied with MingW. You may want to have a look at this topic by Forum user JosephAustin.

Again, our apologises for the late reply.