RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

jwick
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by jwick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 pm

Glad to help. Thanks for supporting our devices. Please let us know what you are doing and if we can help promote your solution.

Mathias
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:48 pm

Post by Mathias » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Your support is just awesome - thanks a lot for that.

We are currently developing SpaceNavigator support for the biochemical algorithms library BallView at the chair of Bioinformatics at Saarland University, Germany. You can find the project webpage here:

http://www.ball-project.org/Ballview

jwick
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by jwick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm

Terrific. I got my start in molecular modeling in the early 80s. Our pictures weren't as pretty as yours! Best of luck with your project.

fred37b
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 am

Post by fred37b » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:58 am

Hi,

I'm working on a graphical DirectX project and I'have a space navigator, I use a sample of DirectX (DirectInput Joystick) I would know if it is better to use the RAW method instead of a DirectX one.

I built this project on my computer but I have only a white window which is open with two menu FILE and OPEN, does it normal ?

jwick
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by jwick » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:50 am

DirectInput may be the easiest to implement if you already have a Direct X application. Raw Input works very well too. Raw Input supports multiple devices quite well. I forget if DirectInput does.

I think our DirectX demo has problems. It is very, very old; a Microsoft DirectX 8 sample as I recall. I'd restart your implementation from current Microsoft example code.

zoran
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:47 pm
Location: Australia

Post by zoran » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:54 pm

Not sure if the ftp site with the examples is still available. but it seems to be down. Any chance of getting access to these examples?

cheers,

Zoran
zok

UtaSH
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Post by UtaSH » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:00 am

Hi zoran,

the ftp site is still available. See here for the details..

anichols
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:02 am

Re: RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post by anichols » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:24 am

I'm trying to build support for your Space Navigator mouse into a CAD tool we have under development. I'd like to dig into the RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples as I understand from reading other threads on this forum that that's the way to go about it in the Windows world. However I cannot access the FTP site, either by using my own username/pass or by using examples/examples as recommended elsewhere. The SDK does not seem to provide much information either. Can you offer suggestions?

jwick
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post by jwick » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:57 am

anichols wrote:I'm trying to build support for your Space Navigator mouse into a CAD tool we have under development. I'd like to dig into the RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples as I understand from reading other threads on this forum that that's the way to go about it in the Windows world. However I cannot access the FTP site, either by using my own username/pass or by using examples/examples as recommended elsewhere. The SDK does not seem to provide much information either. Can you offer suggestions?
Make sure you try: ftp:/ *** ***
Also try a different ftp program. I just tried IE which worked fine.
OTOH, you can also get the 3DxWare SDK by signing up as a developer. It does not use Raw Input, but has better integration with the 3DxWare driver. It also makes supporting future devices easier.


Moderator Edit: the sample code is no longer available from the FTP service. Please contact 3Dconnexion API Support if you need further assistance.

anichols
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:02 am

Re: RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post by anichols » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:54 am

Thanks, jwick. Using IE does make a difference; I can now access the ftp site.

Although I would prefer to use it, I remain confused about the SDK. I had signed up previously as a developer (I thought...) and downloaded the Windows SDK. It uncompresses into a folder C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware. Within that folder are subfolders that I recognize as pertaining to major CAD platform vendors. There is also a 3DxWare64 subfolder, with win32 and win64 subfolders beneath it. I see that each of the latter contains a "TDxInput.dll" and a "TDx.TDxInput.dll". I have read (here: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/3DConnexion ... ice_driver) that these are the actual SDK.

All good so far. What I'm missing is any programmer reference manual that explains the API to the SDK. Am I just missing it? Or is it missing from the copy I installed? Can you post a link that would allow me to access it by other means?

jwick
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post by jwick » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:06 am

anichols wrote:Thanks, jwick. Using IE does make a difference; I can now access the ftp site.

Although I would prefer to use it, I remain confused about the SDK. I had signed up previously as a developer (I thought...) and downloaded the Windows SDK. It uncompresses into a folder C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware. Within that folder are subfolders that I recognize as pertaining to major CAD platform vendors. There is also a 3DxWare64 subfolder, with win32 and win64 subfolders beneath it. I see that each of the latter contains a "TDxInput.dll" and a "TDx.TDxInput.dll". I have read (here: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/3DConnexion ... ice_driver) that these are the actual SDK.

All good so far. What I'm missing is any programmer reference manual that explains the API to the SDK. Am I just missing it? Or is it missing from the copy I installed? Can you post a link that would allow me to access it by other means?
From your description, it appears you downloaded the end-user software not the SDK. In fact, you can't download the SDK--you have to get it via email. Follow the instructions on the SDK page to send the email. You do need the end-user software also, but you should be using the 3DxWare 10 driver for development, which is in beta.

Also, it should be made clear that using Raw Input is a LOT of work on your part to fully complete your integration. It will not allow your application to access the buttons/LCD/LEDs very readily (or at all). You really should use the 3DxWare SDK for any serious 3D mouse support.

anichols
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:02 am

Re: RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post by anichols » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:26 am

Thanks, jwick.

So in order to access the SDK page to send the email as you suggest, I did the following:
1.Opened up IE
2. Navigated to main page (http://www.3dconnexion.com/)
3. Navigated to the Developer page (http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/soft ... loper.html)
4. Bottom of that page, click on "3Dconnexion SDK" link in blue.
5. When presented with a license agreement, click "Accept" link at bottom of page.
6. Now I'm at the SDK page (here: http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/sdk/ ... nload.html). Click "login". A login dialog appears. Enter the username and pass that I used to access the 3Dconnexion Forum (that is, here).
7. Receive message "This is not a valid or an unactivated account. Please request a new password".
8. Click "Forgot password". Get new password via email.
9. Try again, using existing username, new password.
10. Again receive message "This is not a valid or an unactivated account. Please request a new password".
11. Wait apx. 2.5 hours to account for possible latency in the system. Repeat all through #9.
12. Once again receive message "This is not a valid or an unactivated account. Please request a new password".

Clearly I'm doing something wrong...

jwick
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2462
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post by jwick » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 am

anichols wrote:Thanks, jwick.

So in order to access the SDK page to send the email as you suggest, I did the following:
1.Opened up IE
2. Navigated to main page (http://www.3dconnexion.com/)
3. Navigated to the Developer page (http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/soft ... loper.html)
4. Bottom of that page, click on "3Dconnexion SDK" link in blue.
5. When presented with a license agreement, click "Accept" link at bottom of page.
6. Now I'm at the SDK page (here: http://www.3dconnexion.com/service/sdk/ ... nload.html). Click "login". A login dialog appears. Enter the username and pass that I used to access the 3Dconnexion Forum (that is, here).
7. Receive message "This is not a valid or an unactivated account. Please request a new password".
8. Click "Forgot password". Get new password via email.
9. Try again, using existing username, new password.
10. Again receive message "This is not a valid or an unactivated account. Please request a new password".
11. Wait apx. 2.5 hours to account for possible latency in the system. Repeat all through #9.
12. Once again receive message "This is not a valid or an unactivated account. Please request a new password".

Clearly I'm doing something wrong...
I don't think we are that clever. I think the forum and "My3Dx" are two different tools. You need to create a My3Dx account. Feel free to use the same name and password (I do).

Frenchy
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 am

Re: RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post by Frenchy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:00 am

Hi i am newby in forum
is the ftp site ftp:/ *** *** always active?


Moderator Edit: the sample code is no longer available from the FTP service. Please contact 3Dconnexion API Support if you need further assistance.

UtaSH
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3195
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: RawInput /Raw Input / WM_INPUT Examples

Post by UtaSH » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:19 am

This ftp server doesn't exist anymore.

Post Reply