How to identify multiple SpaceMouse USB modules

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

krono

How to identify multiple SpaceMouse USB modules

Post by krono »

Hi everyone.

I'm using 2 SpaceMouse USB modules (3DX-700048) on my own software (C#) with DirectInput (let's call them SpaceMouse A and SpaceMouse B).
The problem is that we have no way to identify properly which is SpaceMouse A and which is SpaceMouse B.
Only the InstanceGuid is different, but it is not always the same for each SpaceMouse, as it changes depending on with USB port is plugged.

According to this post, there was no way to identify two identical devices:
viewtopic.php?p=11070#p11070

Is there any update in this issue?

Thanks in advance!
jwick

Re: How to identify multiple SpaceMouse USB modules

Post by jwick »

There is no way to permanently detect which is which. You could use the USB port info but users should be able to innocently move them from port to port and to/from docking station, replace one, etc. OTOH, if you bought the modules, presumably you are mounting these into your own console.

If the software must know, upon detecting a new physical layout, I'd implement something like a touch Device A, now touch Device B, ...
krono

Re: How to identify multiple SpaceMouse USB modules

Post by krono »

I thought that maybe with the help of a firmware tool and the proper cables I could set a different "SpaceMouse B" PID value.

I will consider the option you propose if there is no other automatic option for the end user.

Thank you for answering so quick!