Frequently Asked Questions
Before starting make sure you are logged in with full admin privileges.
1. Download the latest driver from the 3Dconnexion website and save it to an easy to access location such as the desktop.
2. Remove the current driver through the Add/Remove programs. Then make sure the 3Dconnexion folder in C:\Program Files is deleted.
3. Navigate to C:/Documents and Settings/your profile/Application Data or C:/Documents and Settings/admin/Application Data/ and delete the 3Dconnexion folder. Check both locations to be sure.
NOTE: on Vista machines the paths to the profiles will be found in C:/Users/your profile/AppData or C:/Users/admin/AppData/.
4. Before proceeding with the next steps, It is strongly recommended that a backup of the registry be made. Instructions to create a back-up and to restore the registry can be found on the Microsoft's Knowledge Base article Q322756.
5. Under the 'Start' button and 'Run' type in 'regedit' and hit OK to bring up the Registry Editor. There are 2 registry entries to remove: Under the branches ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER’ and ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ and under each of their ‘Software’ folders delete the 3Dconnexion folder found in each location (note: sometimes there might not be one under the Local Machine key folder).
6. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and delete the files spwini.dll and siappdll.dll. On 64-bit operating systems, also go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 to delete the files with the same names.
7. Remove the device if it is still plugged in and follow this by rebooting the computer.
8. To rule out installation conflicts with firewalls or antivirus software please disconnect from any local network if applicable (with most places, depending on how their network and licenses are managed you can physically unplug the network cable after logging back into Windows), disable any antivirus programs and turn off any local firewalls. The Windows firewall settings can be accessed from the Windows control panel. All of these items can be reconnected/turned back on after the driver is successfully installed.
9. Install the latest driver previously saved to the desktop. Once the driver is installed, plug the device back in and open the 3Dconnexion Control Panel (Sometimes the device will ‘wake up’ immediately after plugging it back in and other times it will not ‘wake up’ until after opening the Control Panel). Hit the Calibrate button to rezero the device motion settings. The Control Panel can be closed after this.