Autodesk Revit

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

xophe

Autodesk Revit

Post by xophe »

Does SpaceNavigator work with Autodesk Revit? As this program is growing fast, one expects a plug-in for it.
Can SpaceNavigator be used by any CAD program for some basic functions or do you always need the exact driver for the program?

Thanks.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello xophe:

Unfortunately, it does not. 3Dconnexion is unable to build a plug-in as the current API for Revit does not allow us to change the views in order to provide navigation with our devices. We have asked Autodesk for help, and we are also asking customers to please send requests to Autodesk so that they become increasingly aware of the demand.

As for your second question, you do need to install 3DxSoftware to run with our devices. Application support depends on the application. You can visit our website to view the list of applications that our devices work with at http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/cad/2aa.php.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
xophe

Post by xophe »

Hey Ziva,
Thanks for the quick response.
I've been having fun with Google Earth for the last hour with my SpaceNavigator; it makes one only dream about the possibilities with Revit.
I'll send a request to Autodesk rightaway. I hope it works out, all other Autodesk programs work OK.

CU in the future.
xophe
ACE001

Post by ACE001 »

Yes, Please get this working on Autodesk Revit. My firm is switching from AutoCad to Revit and this tool is perfect for it.
Thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi ACE001,
ACE001 wrote:Yes, Please get this working on Autodesk Revit.
Have a look on znissan's post above. 3Dconnexion cannot provide add support for our device in Revit due to limitations on the application API. If you would like to use one of our devices with Revit, we advise you to contact Autodesk and let them know how cool it would be. We would also appreciate if you could post here any information you receive from them.
Nuno Gomes
xophe

Reply from Autodesk

Post by xophe »

Hello guys,

Here's the mail I got from Autodesk:

"Dear xophe,
Thank you very much for feedback as this is really valuable to us.
Have a nice afternoon.
Kind regards,
Lykke"

So let's hope they also do something with feedback and Revit 10 which will be launched in april get an open API.

Enjoy the 3D world (the real one)
Merry Christmas to you all.
xophe

Do the same

Post by xophe »

By the way, although Autodesk is a massive coorporation, they DO reply, so start sending those requests for 3Dconnexion implementation... one day it will pay off. AutoCAD, Inventor and Maya work with it don't they.
ngomes

Re: Do the same

Post by ngomes »

Hi xophe,
xophe wrote:AutoCAD, Inventor and Maya work with it don't they.
They do albeit the support is implemented differently.
The 3Dconnexion plug-in for Inventor adds support for extensive button programming (nearly all of the application commands) with automatic context (environment) detection. Navigation in Inventor is implement natively (plug-in is not required).
We also provide plug-ins for AutoCAD 2007 and above (navigation) and Maya 6 and above (navigation and button programming).
Thanks for sending the note to Autodesk. Every request helps all of us to have a more extensive and rich experience when using 3D controllers.
ArynBergman

How long would it take to build the drivers for Revit?

Post by ArynBergman »

If the guys at autodesk allowed you to change the views, how long would it take for you to release a version of 3DxWare that will work with Revit?
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello ArynBergman:

If Autodesk is ready to spend development cycles, it would be infinitely better and makes more sense for Autodesk to implement native support for our devices using our latest SDK than to make changes to their API so we can build a plug-in. Performance is usually higher when the support is native.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
ArynBergman

Contact info

Post by ArynBergman »

Hey Ziva,

Thanks for the quick response. Could you email me yours or the correct contact person's contact info so that I may pass it on it the Autodesk guys? I don't know how much it'll do, but its worth a shot. When you get the chance, please email it to me at ArynBergman@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Aryn
xophe

Revit 2008

Post by xophe »

Hello Ziva,

The new Revit is launched and Autodesk speaks about big changes in API. Do you know whether the API will make use of the SpaceNavigator possible?

Kind Regards,
xophe
architect
sorin

Post by sorin »

it's a no for revit 2008 too. they didn't change the api in that area.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Sorry for not posting earlier, xophe. Sorin took care of it, though. :)

In any case, the better investment that Autodesk can make is just to implement our SDK. We won't lose hope!

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
Dace

Post by Dace »

A colleague of mine is very well connected with the Revit development team at Autodesk, and I heard from him a few weeks ago about 3Dconnexion implementation with Revit. He says: "Also, at AU, I learned that it might be a year or more before the space ball is supported. "

So, while the timing isn't exactly favorable, it's encouraging to know that someone, somewhere at Autodesk might actually be considering a future implementation...