Move tool bug when using SpaceExplore in max 2014

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

focomoso

Move tool bug when using SpaceExplore in max 2014

Post by focomoso »

Hi,

I upgraded to 3ds max 2014 and installed the latest 3DxWare (10.1.0 WinCore version 17.1.0.10275) and I've encounter an hugely annoying bug. Whenever I use the move tool in max while the SpaceExplorer is moving the view, the move tool becomes unpredictable. It moves objects seemingly randomly far away. Even worse, the movements are not stored in the undo cue so I can't undo the operation. Once the bug starts, it won't stop until I restart Max (even if I stop using the Explorer).

Is there anything I can do about this? As it's working now, I can't use the Explorer at all.

Thanks,

James
--
fo co mo so
theedge

Re: Move tool bug when using SpaceExplore in max 2014

Post by theedge »

Hello,
I have the exact same problem since I installed max 2015 : If I use the spacepilot pro while moving, it actually moves the select object !
I'm using 3ds max design 2015 SP2
3DxWare version 10.1.4
3DxWinCore 17.1.4.10702
steevee

Post by steevee »

Hi, I have the same issue, this has taken a month of pain to figure out.
I have two massive problems since i started using the new drivers with MAX 2014.

The first has been mentioned above. If you have clicked an object and are moving it with the move Gizmo, then you move the 3D controller, it moves the object in a totally random direction.
This is a massive pain. That i think has been newly introduced.

There are two another bigger issues that i have been trying to deal with for over a month now. Also related to MAX 2014, and a new installation of the drivers for the space navigator.
I have not been able to click on many objects. That is to say, 9 times out of 10, when i click to select an object, i can't. The click does not register. MAX sees the object as the cursor changes, but it must be something to do with the Connexion drivers, as the mouse click then not allowing me to select the object. So I've been resorting to CTRL+A to select all first, then clicking the object, a really big issue.
The other issue is perhaps related. When i click, and then move an object, it moves exponentially with the mouse cursor. So instead of being kinda fixed to the cursor as you move it, a small mouse move, is translated into a massive exponential jump, what's worse is that you cant undo this either.

These 3 things have wasted a massive amount of time over the last month, but all appear to be gone, since i pulled the USB plug on the 3D space explorer.

I think this happened when i installed the new drivers about a month ago. Before that i was using the older version, I think it was the unfinished version that was the last version before they changed to the new look drivers.

I thought that 3Dconnexion/Logitech had ironed out all the issues that they have always had with the drivers, but it seems not.
I guess i will have to install and test an older driver and see if it works.

Steve
lord_perth

Post by lord_perth »

@steevee
Are you using the latest drivers?
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Yep, same problem here as well. This is a bug that just won't get squashed. Please fix or we have to sell the SpaceMouse. - forced to you older drivers v3-17-4_r1540 (driver version 6.17.4) firmware 4.34 but won't work in Max 2015. FIX FIX FIX!
steevee

Post by steevee »

Hi, i was using the latest drivers, i installed them about 6 weeks ago. It took me a month to realise that they were the issue,
i have now removed them, and installed the drivers that the driver download page recommended for my older space explorer.

Its unbelievable how many times they manage to screw up the drivers on release. This is the major issue with this hardware, ie, not the hardware, the drivers, they seem to not test them before release on other hardware, or there just plane useless at informing people what to use.
Of course people want the latest drivers for a lot of reasons, but not at the cost of killing the workflow for a month.

They really need to work on there testing.
S
rwelch

Post by rwelch »

I have the same problem with "Space Pilot Pro" with Max 2015 x64. It seems to work fine with Maya 2015 x64; but, I have to unplug the 3Dconnexion mouse when I'm working in Max.

Is 3Dconnexion simply not supporting Max any longer? I downloaded the latest pdf with the latest driver release. It didn't seem to specifically mention Max unless the Max's name was hidden in some otherwise meaningless letters. All the other supported 3D software was clearly referred to. I looked on the 3Dconnexion Web side for info concerning supported 3D software. Max was referred to, along with Character Studio. (http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-so ... nment.html)

"Take 3ds Max and Character Studio to the max with a 3D mouse."

Maybe it's just me; but, I don't think that I've seen those two programs referred separately, and in the same sentence, for a long time. I'm not trying to be critical of 3Dx. I just want to know what is going on so I can make intelligent decisions.
chemosavi

Post by chemosavi »

Same problem here. Another annoying problem in MAX is how long it takes the space mouse to respond to view changes. Often I have to click my mouse button in a new view to get the space mouse to "wake up". No problem in Rhino at all but other problems like re-assigning alt, shift, esc keys.
20 core Xeon Workstation @3.1gz
3 Titan x's
Space Mouse Pro
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

focomoso wrote: ...
Whenever I use the move tool in max while the SpaceExplorer is moving the view, the move tool becomes unpredictable. It moves objects seemingly randomly far away.
We are tracking this issue internally with bug #6777. The fix for this problem is expected to be in the next release of 3DxWare 10.1.x.
rwelch

Post by rwelch »

Hi Uta,
Dealing with customers on a forum is difficult; but, thanks for trying. Your response is neither convincing nor helpful. Also, don't forget that the 3Dx driver destroys the Max "Undo" command. Based on what I've read in other forums, I believe that there are a lot of Max users who are experiencing these problems but have not, yet, associated them with their 3Dx mouses/mice.

I understand that good coders who write drivers don't want to work for free. It can be a business killer, if you have to keep producing drivers for hardware that has already been sold, and new sells are down. Ironically, for 3Dconnexion, their hardware is very good and never seems to wear out with use.

I've been in the 3D business for a very long time. During that time, I have purchased a SpacePilot, a SpaceExplorer, and a SpacePilot Pro. I think there is a problem at 3Dconnexion. Whether I'm correct, or not, every time you sell a 3D mouse to a 3DS Max user, you're being disrespectful to them and dishonest, if you don't tell them that your drivers are unstable in Max. This is a serious issue. Maybe it's just me; but, I think that it is unethical to not tell them.

I'll wait and see if that new driver/fix resolves all of this. Thanks for your attention. I really do appreciate it.
steevee

Post by steevee »

Hi, I said in the post above that i removed the newest drivers 10.1.4 64bit after they played merry hell with MAX64 2014, all service packs.
So i installed the recommended driver for my space explorer, which was 3.18.0 [6.18.0].
After a week of using this driver, i have worked out something else i have had issues with. This driver causes a massive amount of LAG with MAX. Its about 2 seconds to perform any operation at all, all the time. I've encountered this before, but never put it down to a 3D driver.
So now i just have the Space Explorer unplugged, except when i need to setup a camera in MAX, as its the only way to so smooth camera moves.

So in short,
- i can't use the new drivers as they don't let me click to select objects, and moving objects is undoable and movements are exponential
- i cant use the recommended old drivers, as they cause MAX to be so laggy its unusable as well.
I'm using a fast spec'd system, with a Quadro 4000 GPU, and i've just realised that every issue i have had in the last year with max has been caused by my 3Dconnexion Space Explorers drivers.

Could someone at the company please recommend me a 3D Device, and a set of drivers that they know will work with MAX without issue, as every other thing I try is killing my workflow? This is really ridiculous now.
The hardware is great as we all know, its just again the drivers. They cause all the issues. I have a spacemouse wireless that I'm going to try, but if that does not work reliably with the new drivers then thats it, i cant waste my time on their products anymore.

Steve
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Just a reminder that the Spacemouse Pro has the exact same problem as stated above when using drivers v3.18 to the latest v10.1.4. Only driver version 3.17 works properly up to max 2014. The above issue has been confirmed now on 4 computers with max 2011 to 2015 - that's x3 workstations and a laptop!

Here's a tip 3Dconnexion that may help you solve this nonsense - Version 3.17 driver breaks the connection from the model when you move the Spacemouse Pro while manipulating the model in Max, so you then have to reselect the model again which is fine - the newer drivers do not and instead hang on to it, possibly compounding any translation errors made, hence the exponential drift. Restore this original behavior and you might fix it.

PLEASE also fix the object selection bug when scene is rotated - maybe it's related!
steevee

Post by steevee »

Hi Roger, are you saying that you have tested and found the same issues I'm having? and that the only driver version that you have found to work is 3.17?
I might give it a shot.
I do recall that i had an old driver that i used, that was pretty good and didn't give many issues, I think it was a beta, right before they added the new wireless driver package to it. Tho it did make regular 3D movements really hard over a distance, at least it had less major issues than every other driver i have used.
Its sad that this is such an unsolvable problem. The hardware is perfect, but I cant believe I've only just worked out that the drivers are the cause of all the MAX issues I've been having over the last year.
I will go back to using target cameras for smooth movements, as the 3D mouse was great for setting them up.

I drive the IT guys nuts, I'm always complaining that the Antivirus is strangling MAX, but its the 3D Connexion device drivers all along.

I will try and get hold of an older driver that is stable for SpaceExplorer, I used to have one somewhere.
If that does not work, I will try the new wireless mouse with the new drivers, after that I'm going to give up using it for MAX.

Can anyone at 3DCx recommend me the best drivers to use with Space Explorer and MAX 2014? They must know what the most bug free version was? as the newest don't work, and the "recommended" version from the software both cause major issues.

S
Zakkorn

Post by Zakkorn »

Same problem in Max 2015 as well.
After a while (3-4 mins) of working in Max, when you are trying to move an object, the object moves uncontrollably far and there is no undo for this. The only way to stop it is to restart Max. And this of course is unacceptable.
I use a Space Navigator and of course the latest 3Dconnexion drivers
chemosavi

Post by chemosavi »

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.41 KiB) Viewed 27305 times
My Space Mouse Pro works "almost" perfectly in Max 2014. The exception is a lag when switching to new viewports when selecting objects. I had to try different versions until I got one that works. Problem now is the driver doesn't let me assign keystrokes to the alt, esc, shift buttons in Rhino.

Here is the version that works for Max 2014: 3.16.3 Driver version 6.16.1 Firmware version 4.34
20 core Xeon Workstation @3.1gz
3 Titan x's
Space Mouse Pro