Space Navigator suddenly throws SW parts off screen...

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Macchina

Space Navigator suddenly throws SW parts off screen...

Post by Macchina »

I have been using Space Navigators in Inventor and Autocad for years. Recently I switched jobs and switched to Solidworks 2013. I just bought a new Space Navigator for Notebooks and am using all the same settings as I used to. I have noticed a very annoying problem that occurs when I am zoomed in and working on a small feature. If I'm swinging from side-to-side of a rib for example, the spaceball pan speed seems to suddenly increase by many factors and I'm left staring at white screen far away from my model. This happens around 1-in-20 times. Is this a problem that has occurred before? Any suggestions?
Fred

Re: Space Navigator suddenly throws SW parts off screen...

Post by Fred »

If you are finding the SolidWorks navigation limited or constrained in a way you do not expect , un-check the option 'Keep in View'. This option is intended to keep the view from moving off the screen, but in some circumstances could interfere with the way you are working.[SolidWorks menu|3Dcontrol|Properties|Options]

The location of the rotation center also affects the view when zooming into a point. The Auto Rotation Center re-calculates the center of volume as the model is moved on the screen. If you turn off Auto Rotation Center,you can select your own center point using CTRL-Middle mouse button. The option is useful when it is important to have the center at a specified point rather than moving as the volume center changes. To release a selected rotation point use CTRL+MMB and click on empty space.