Space Pilot configuration lost

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

bsh

Space Pilot configuration lost

Post by bsh »

Hello all,
been using my good old SpaceMouse Plus serial for ages, but I got a good deal on a SpacePilot (not the pro) and got it. since then I have all but problems.
Removed the old driver and installed 3.17.6 (and also tried 3.16.3 and v10). OS is Vista x64 (german) and using Inventor 2010.
The problem is: configured the axes sensitivity and the button mappings, saved it both automatically and manually. When running inventor, 3dxware recognizes it and loads my config. However, this config is not what I made! All my customizations are gone. Tried it hundred times, and the settings only work until a restart. Then it comes back up again showing it is using my custom saved settings, but those are totally wrong.

Also, what is the "official" driver for this config? Coz when I search for it, it shows 3.16.3 is the driver, but when I install it, the update wizard shows there's a new version (3.17 i guess), and when I install it, update wizard does not find any newer version, so I'm assuming that's the latest supported driver?

Thanks in advance.
bsh
Fred

Re: Space Pilot configuration lost

Post by Fred »

3.16.3 is the last driver made for the SpacePilot support ended on 03/28/2013.
Since you have played with multiple drivers i would suggest you perform a clean install.
http://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/28

To prevent buttons from being reset you will need to map them in the 3DxInventor Button Editor rather than the 3Dconnexion Properties window.

The internal button mapping editors such as 3DxInventor are designed to have priority over 3Dconnexion Properties [3Dconnexion Control Panel].

In addition to saving your button mapping correctly , the 3DxInventor editor has a number of Inventor commands available. If you do not have 3DxInventor installed you can add it using the Repair function in Programs and Features with Inventor closed .[Windows Control Panel - Programs and Features -3Dconnexion - Change|Modify - Repair]

When you Inventor is opened initially with the 3DxInventor add-in installed, the 3DMouse News window opens inside Inventor. The 3DMouse News window shows the pop-up menu that includes the 'Customize buttons' option. The pop-up menu is mapped to the "Menu" button on the Space Pilot PRO and Space Mouse Pro, the "Panel" button on Space Pilot and Space Explorer and the left Space Navigator button.

With an Inventor document open, press the button on your device to open the pop-up menu then choose 'Customize buttons' to open the 3DxInventor Button Editor.push OK

To change the general axis and sensitivity right click on the 3d icon in the system tray make adjustments.
Push Ok.
By default Automatically save is already checked.

Make sure you map the buttons for each mode Drawing, parts etc otherwise it will appear the mappings will default back to original settings.
bsh

Post by bsh »

Thanks.
However, it's not just the buttons. Device sensitivity and individual axis sensitivity settings are also gone. (And these are not available in the button mappings editor.)
When I open 3dxware panel, it shows that my custom config is loaded, but it's not. All the buttons and axis' are wrong. When I switch to some other profile (ie. the default "inventor" profile") and then back to the my config profile, it will actually change the buttons and axis settings as I saved them.
As for the driver, I have the 3.17 installed now. Should I go back to 3.16 or can I keep it as is? (Btw. the v10 driver has promising functions, unfortunatelly the control panel crashes upon loading so I can't try to configure it. Too bad... :roll: )
Fred

Post by Fred »

3.17 isnt supported for the SpacePilot "its as is".
I would still suggest you perform a full clean install of the driver.
This way you have the ability to make changes for adjusting
Device sensitivity and individual axis sensitivity settings. using the 3Dcontrol panel.
You probably have corrupted profiles.

If you have questions or issues with the beta driver you need to post those errors and questions in the Beta Forum.
That way the programmers can look into the issue.
bsh

Post by bsh »

I've done the clean install and deleted the profiles and made new ones. Still it changes everything on its own will.
Fred

Post by Fred »

3.16.3 was the last supported driver for that device.

Try returning the SpacePilot to Inventor defaults. With Inventor open and having the SpaceNavigator focus [Inventor will be shown at the top of the 3Dconnexion Control Panel] choose "Restore all Defaults"[3Dconnexion Control Panel – Options- Restore all Defaults] A dialog box will then say that restoring defaults will remove all changes you have made to the configuration

Next click on Options
Select Delete Saved Configurations
Delete all entries

Now go and make changes make sure you have it set to save changes.
Push OK
Now reopen the 3dcontrol panel and see which profile is listed
Inventor or yourname inventor?

If its Inventor right click and choose disable
Next close Inventor then reopen and see if your mappings etc are working.

Otherwise im at a loss.