3DxWare Function Problems

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dmerala

3DxWare Function Problems

Post by dmerala »

I'm using a space explorer in NX Unigraphics 8.

None of the 3DxWare or 3DxViews functions I assign to buttons using the 3Dx Button Mapping Editor work. Anybody else have this problem or know how to fix it?
Fred

Re: 3DxWare Function Problems

Post by Fred »

Button mapping for your 3Dconnexion device needs to be done from the Customize Buttons editor within NX rather than from the 3Dconnexion Properties window. For any application that has an internal button mapping editor, the internal editor has priority. Buttons mapped from 3Dconnexion Properties return to defaults since they are overwritten by the internal editor.

If you map your buttons instead from the 3DxNX 'Customize Buttons', the mappings will be saved to your profile.

In NX you can access the 'Customize Buttons' from the pop-up menu by pressing the "Menu" on SpacePilotPRO, "Panel" on the SpacePilot and paceExplorer and the left button on the SpaceNavigator.

You can also open the editor by choosing 'Button Mapping Editor' from the 3DxNX menu or clicking on Button Mapping Editor in the 3DxNX toolbar.

If your NX button mapping is greyed out , it indicates the system environment variables need to be edited.The steps here explain what needs to done: http://www.3dconnexion.com/faq/55

(Substitute the path for NX6 to NX 8)

If you have more than one version of NX installed , the steps need to be done for each version.

Environment variables are located on the Advanced tab in System Properties
dmerala

Post by dmerala »

I am using the "Customize Buttons" window within NX. I get to it from the 3Dconnexion menu in NX.

Pressing "Panel" on my Space Explorer does not bring up the "Customize Buttons" window. (I am able to get to it through the menu bar but the fact that my panel button doesn't bring it up may be diagnostically important.)

None of the custom functions I assign from this window work when I call them using the assigned buttons on my Space Explorer.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello dmerala-

Custom shortcuts need to be created first in the Custom Functions editor in 3Dconnexion Properties then assigned in the button editor inside NX. When you restart NX, the name you have given to the shortcut will be added in the category '3DxWare Functions' in the 3DxNX editor inside NX.

To return the pop-up menu to the Panel button on the Space Explorer you can use the Button Configuration tab in 3Dconnexion Properties and select 'Popup Menu' or 'Application Popup' from the drop down list for the Panel button.

You can also use Options- Restore all Defaults in in 3Dconnexion Properties to return all of the buttons to their original settings for NX - which includes the pop-up menu being mapped to the Panel button.

If you are still seeing a problem, please let us know the keyboard combination you are entering in the Custom Functions editor and the command it generates in NX.
------------------
Barbara
dmerala

Post by dmerala »

Barbara,

I should clarify, it's not "Custom Functions" (like where I pick a sequence of commands and save it) I am having trouble with, it's any custom button configuration. I cannot get (almost) any function to execute by pressing buttons on the Space Explorer.

The attached screenshot shows my configuration. When I press 1, the virtual number pad does pop up. When I press 2, nothing happens. When I press T, the view does not move to top view, what happens is the space explorer changes mode so that I can only either rotate or translate at a time, not both at once. When I press L nothing happens.

Any thoughts on why the buttons on my Space Explorer aren't working? I think I have the button configuration done correctly.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi dmerala,

I recommend you do a clean uninstallation and reinstall as described here. The latest driver is available from our download site. The current version is 3.17.6.

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks.