Adding SpacePilot support to 3DxWare 10

Discussion on the upcoming major revision of 3Dconnexion 3DxWare

Moderator: Moderators

Should 3Dconnexion add support for SpacePilot in 3DxWare 10?

Yes. I have a SpacePilot and want to use it in 3DxWare 10
84%
Yes. I do not have an SP but 3DxWare 10 should support it
16%
No
No votes
Don't know / Don't care
No votes

Total votes : 44

Adding SpacePilot support to 3DxWare 10

Postby 3Dconnexion » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:27 am

3DxWare 10 Beta supports all current devices from 3Dconnexion: SpaceNavigator, SpaceNavigator for Notebooks, SpaceExplorer USB and SpacePilot PRO.

Launched in 2005, the SpacePilot entered its maintenance phase ("continued support") at the end of March 2010 which will continue until 2013. More information is available here.

3DxWare 10 Beta does not support SpacePilot and some of our customers have asked 3Dconnexion to add it to the software.

Whether you are a SpacePilot user or not, 3Dconnexion is interested in knowing your opinion, so please post below. If you like, you may also participate in the survey.
Last edited by 3Dconnexion on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Dconnexion
Administrator
Administrator

Postby philnolan3d » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:00 am

I just bought my SpacePilot so yes I would be upset if it didn't have the latest drivers at least for little while. A number of retailers (like Amazon) are selling the SpacePilot new right now, so people buying a new device should have some support for it.
Phil Nolan
3D Generalist
http://www.philnolan3d.com
Windows 8 x64, Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz, GeForce GTX 470, 8GB RAM
philnolan3d

Postby BeatKitano » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:50 am

Thank you for taking the time to listen to your customers, I'm hoping this goes into a civil and fruitful exchange.
BeatKitano

Postby CPConsult » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:00 pm

BeatKitano wrote:Thank you for taking the time to listen to your customers, I'm hoping this goes into a civil and fruitful exchange.

X2 Thank you for listening!
CPConsult

Sad to be left out of the party

Postby routb3d » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:04 pm

I have x2 space pilots.. I love them and use them every day.. I have been waiting for support for 2D apps.. I saw the news on Engadget and got really excited only to find that I wasn't invited to the party.. Please Please Please add support for the Spacepilot..

I just modified a space pilot to make it more mobile.. See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uS-IoyVMQA

I don't know if I could do this to the new version.. And I don't want to spend $400 to find out!

Please?

Thanks,

IC
routb3d

Postby paepcke » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I've had a number of 3DConnexion devices, and my latest is a Space Pilot. I've also been waiting years for a facility like 3DxWare 10; ever since support for the Microsoft Office suit was discontinued. Now I want to control a physical robot arm with my Space Pilot, and was burning to try it. Then I discovered that my device is unsupported... :-(
paepcke

Postby 3DGene » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:26 am

I feel strongly enough about this that I just registered to vote. I have a SP Pro and do not want this happening to me in a year!
3DGene

Postby mallex » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:22 am

Also just registered to vote for the space pilot driver addition.

Congrats to the 3Dx dev team for getting the drivers out.

It must be said that as a 3D controller, the space pilot is still a fantastic piece of kit, too valuable in my opinion to be cast into obsolescence.

I just think it would be a shame to see it permanently excluded from the list of great 3Dconnexion products.
mallex

Postby dnashj33 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:53 am

Ironic how they use the phrase "ADD SpacePilot" to the supported list. We aren't stupid. We know full well that this isn't a matter of you not investing in a discontinued product. It's simply a matter of you BLOCKING/PROHIBITING paying customers from using drivers that simply will work as the rest do. They'd have us think that it's costing them money to continue allowing updated drivers work with this model. It's practically the same device, with only a few minor feature additions.

This is nothing less than them corporately deciding to screw their former customers, in a purely greed-centered business decision. They don't realize they are doing more harm than good with these kinds of tricks. There is no reason for a company to FAIL to support their products for the LIFE of the product...not just for a few years!

Nobody is expecting the Navigator (which is much older than the SpacePilot) to suddenly utilize features made for other models, but just to work within it's physical parameters (it has no buttons, so no view keys or modifier keys).
I was going to add this 3DX clip in with a promo video for a software company they are familiar with, but now I'm not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-vFLqhcl1I
dnashj33

Postby GregW » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Yes, I'd really like for you to add SpacePilot support too.
GregW

silly

Postby routb3d » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:27 pm

wouldnt someone have to be a total jerk to actually say NO in the poll.. leaves me with the question "Why do they need to ask?"
routb3d

Re: silly

Postby ngomes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:21 am

Hi routb3d,
...leaves me with the question "Why do they need to ask?"
There's more information in a zero count to the "no" answer than not having it in the first place.

Without going into the reasons why customers would vote "no", we believe giving a balanced set of options for the poll question above is the only fair and respectful way to probe the opinion of all our customers, users of SpacePilot or otherwise.
ngomes

Yes please

Postby kspangler » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 am

I too came here after reading the story at Engadget and I'm rather dejected that there is no support for my product. I am on my second 3d controller from 3dconnexion and plan to upgrade again some day but in the meantime would really appreciate the added functionality with my current model.
If I recall there was similar functionality in some Office programs for my original Spaceball controller when I got it and I have been hoping for something like this to come along.
kspangler

Postby Vikingbro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:56 am

BeatKitano wrote:Thank you for taking the time to listen to your customers, I'm hoping this goes into a civil and fruitful exchange.

There is a difference between asking your customers for their opinion, as 3DConnexion has done here, and listening to those opinions.

At this time, the opinions have NOT been listened to, as the support for the SpacePilot has not yet been added.

In 3DConnexion's defense however, their poll is still live, so their data collection is not yet over. How could one expect any action from 3DConnexion, when their poll is not complete?
Vikingbro

Postby ngomes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 am

Hi Vikingbro,
At this time, the opinions have NOT been listened to, as the support for the SpacePilot has not yet been added.
We started the poll two days ago. The first public beta of 3DxWare 10 was released two days before that.

We're listening.
ngomes

Next

Return to 3DxWare 10 Beta Forum