SpaceExplorer w 3DS Max 2011 feedback

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Randy of Neuron

SpaceExplorer w 3DS Max 2011 feedback

Post by Randy of Neuron »

I was super stoked when I got the SpaceExplorer and even more so when I saw the capabilities in the tutorial. However, since then I have been using it in practice and my list of irritations is growing by the day.

I still "like" it, but the number of quorky things I have to deal with I am having fleeting thoughts of returning it. The time that it saves is almost made up for in the problems. I would really like to see if anyone else is having issues.

Our Render Box front end is as follows:
Software: 3DS Max 2011 with 3DS Design 2011
CPU: Intel i5 660 3.333Ghtz
RAM: 8GB
Video: nVidia GeForce GTS 250 1GB Ram model
Drives: 3 120GB Solid State One dedicated for swaps and page files

I have only been using this for two days, but here is a list of my current issues - Hopefully someone can tell me it is something I am doing and not this 3D mouse.

1) Perspective view acts different - When 3DS starts with default perspective view if is useless to use this view and the view buttons. Things simple just get scaled out of range a lot. It just gets way out of wack too fast and the "fit" button doesn't fit. So I have to jump to User view to get the functionality I am wanting. This one may be me not used to the 3D mouse....

2) Slow to use - It is really slow to respond sometimes. I am going to try increasing the sensitivity and see what that gets me. However, quite often I click on something now and have to wait (sometimes a couple seconds) before what I clicked is activated. This really ticks me off especially on this high end of a box.

3) Smooth view gets jacked - If I am in "Smooth w Highlights" view and I have an object comprising multiple sub-objects the colors get all scrambled together. Then if I go to the mouse and move everything just a hair it all goes back to the way it should be. Which negates the point of having the device to start with it I have to tweak a view each time with a mouse! :(

4) Stop it! - This is the real issue for me. We have a number of custom ribbons that we use as short cuts for tools. If I select say Create->Sphere, then create a sphere it does. However.....it stays in that mode and if I click on anything else it draws another one. So I ALWAYS have to right click after using a tool to stop it from continuing to use the tool. This is the primary issue that is making me want to return this thing.

p.s. I can even access say create->box from the traditional menu the normal way and it still does this so it isn't our ribbon.

I hope someone can help me with this thing soon or it is going back :( I really want to get this thing to work, but it seems to be making me learn new things to do to counter act the issues that it creates...which is counter productive to me.
Sincerely,
Randell Trulson
http://www.NeuronGames.com
Randy of Neuron

p.p.s. I am using a Logitech MX 700 cordless mouse with it.
Sincerely,
Randell Trulson
Randy of Neuron

Okay, here is an update

Forget #4, Something got reset in my personal config, how that happened is beyond me.

Anyhow, I uninstalled everything, then reinstalled it again. I still get scrambled looking objects in "smooth-highlighted" mode, but now I have a different issue that didn't happen on the first install.

Now, if I have all 4 viewports open, regardless of which viewport I make current, only the Perspective viewport moves (though the other viewport I selected stays selected). I can only use the controller on those viewports if they are maximized....

Any thoughts?
Sincerely,
Randell Trulson
Randy of Neuron

Okay, I am making progress.....I figured out why only the Perspective view moved.

In advanced settings....you might want to reward the "Only Move 3D View" to me....as an engineer....it is all a 3D view just from different perspectives :)

So I guess the last thing is why is it still scrambling some of my stuff. I can supply video or screenshots if you like.
Sincerely,
Randell Trulson
Randy of Neuron

Okay, I guess I will be keeping the SpaceExplorer....YEA!!!

So if anyone is having issues with glitchy views here is what to do.

1) Completely disable the "Tablet PC Service" and don't allow it to start up in the system control panel.

Go to "Start" then right click computer, then click "manage" then click services and find the Tablet PC service. Disable it on start up and also stop it if it is running.

2) Make sure that 3DS has the newest updates (they don't always notify you) There was a Quicksilver update I got for nVidia that also made a minor difference.

3) The strobing of the "Smooth Highlighted" still exists, but with only one project so I can tolerate it. I have an idea what causes it, but it is too lengthy to get into.

So to make a long story short....I actually got to use it without issues and love it. Just needs to have a trouble shooting section in the instructions for stuff like this is all :/
Sincerely,
Randell Trulson
COLUMBIADAVE44

Post by COLUMBIADAVE44 »

BEST TOY IVE HAD IN A LONG WHILE
SORRY FOR THE SHOUTING BUT I PREFER TO LEAVE CAP LOCK ON