SpaceNavigator 3.11.3-r955 driver not working on Vista X64

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

OlePerch

SpaceNavigator 3.11.3-r955 driver not working on Vista X64

Post by OlePerch »

No applications can find my new SpaceNavigator.

I installed the SpaceNavigator x64 software from the downloaded package 3DxSoftware64_v3-11-3_r955.exe on my Vista X64 Ultima SP2 system.
The installation seemed to go fine - no errors.
I did run it with administrator privileges.

The SpaceNavigator device is connected and shows a fine, blue light. In the Windows Device Manager I see two new devices under Human Interface Devices, one called "HID-compliant device", and one called "USB Human Input Device (HID)". The "HID-compliant device" includes har Hardware ID of "HID\VID_046&PID_C262" which should indicate a SpaceNavigator unit, so the device is apparently recognized by Windows.

So far, so good, BUT:

In spite of this, when I start the Trainer widget I get the error:
"Could not locate an installed 3Dconnextion device. Please install your motion controller driver software before proceeding."

I tried the "Start Driver" item in the Windows Start menu, but it made no difference.
When I tried to run the 3DxWare Control Panel nothing happened. No window, no message, (not even anything in the Windows Event log).

I have uninstalled it all and installed it again. No change.
I have repaired the installation. No change.

I tried to update the drivers for the devices, but Windows found no new drivers.

I tried to start the "Chicken demo", but nothing happened.
When I started the "Cube 3D Demo", I got the message "Can't find a 3D motion controller".

I simply get too little information to understand the problem, and no posts in these forums or in the 3Dconnextion KB seem to match this problem either.

Does anybody out there have any idea what could be wrong???
Or rather, how do I fix this?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi OlePerch,

I do not think we have seen this sort of problem before (thus the missing information in the KB).

Your description indicates that the software cannot access the 3D mouse. The device is listed in the Device Manager but somehow the driver (3DxWare) cannot open a connection to it.

Is it possible that you have installed security software (anti-virus scanner, malware removal) that blocks access to USB devices? We have seen anti-virus scanners interfering with the operation of our devices but I do not recall a complete block as you reported. It's worth checking, anyway.

Generating a log file may help pinpoint where problem is.

Since you cannot even start the driver, you will need to edit the Registry yourself. You should proceed only if you are comfortable in doing so since editing the Registry incorrectly may render your system inoperable.

Open the Registry Editor, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/3Dconnexion/3DxWare and set the value LogLevel (a string value) to ffffffff (you may have to create the value yourself). Afterwards, reboot the system. The log file will be created in %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare.

It shouldn't be a very large file, so you can just cut-and-paste the data in this topic. Otherwise, post back here and we will give you an e-mail address to forward the data to us.
Nuno Gomes
OlePerch

Problem solved

Post by OlePerch »

Thanks for your quick response :)
After modifying the registry, rebooting and attempting to start the driver I got this log:

Code: Select all

19:46:19.048: 3DxWare driver startup: 10/14/2010 19:46:19
19:46:19.051: 3DxWare Driver Version 6.11.1 : July 30, 2010
19:46:19.054: -quiet -- disabled
19:46:19.056: -shutdown -- disabled
19:46:19.058: -protocol -- none given. All protocols enabled.
19:46:19.061: -com -- Disabled, using spcware.ini file settings.
19:46:19.063: -dev -- Disabled, using spcware.ini settings.
19:46:19.066: -eps disabled sending each event.
19:46:19.068: -log enabled
19:46:19.071: -logLevel ffffffff
19:46:19.074: -logFile C:\Users\Ole\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWare.log
19:46:19.077: -searchWarnDlg enabled
19:46:19.079: -showGUI not enabled
19:46:19.082: -hideGUI not enabled
19:46:19.085: UdCtl: Attempting to find (ID=1030) 'Danish' locale in DA_DN
19:46:19.088: UdCtl: Found resource DLL in C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare64\en_us\3dxsrv.dll
19:46:19.093: UdCtl: initialization successful.
19:46:19.096: UdCtl: Attempting to open Any Device (-1) on USB.
19:46:19.099: UdCtl: Attempting to load device DLL: C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare64\UdDev\HIDDev.dll
19:46:19.113: UdCtl: Could not load device DLL HIDDev.dll.  Error=0x1e7.
19:46:19.116: UdCtl: Unable to open Any Device (-1) on USB.
Being unable to load a dll, I then checked your hint that an anti-virus tool may be blocking something.
I use BitDefender. I disabled its real-time protection, and now EVERYTHING WORKED! :D

So, the solution was to set up an exclution in BitDefender for on-access scanning of the path

c:\program files\3dconnexion\3dconnexion 3dxsoftware\3dxware64\uddev\

Now the widgets in 3D Mouse Home work fine, Google Earth too, even with BitDefender Real-time protection enabled.

Allow me to suggest that your applications, especially the 3Dconnexion Control Panel, do a better job of telling about errors, both on the screen and in the Windows Application Event log. That will make problem solving a lot easier (for you too).

Thanks for your help.