3d Navigator works in CATIA R18 but not R17

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

bytor2010

3d Navigator works in CATIA R18 but not R17

Post by bytor2010 »

Strange behavior with the 3d Navigator.

It functions fine in CATIA R18, but does not work in R17.

3Dx driver: 3.10.1

However, a co-worker using the same OS and driver does not have the problem I do.

Demos function fine.
bytor2010

Post by bytor2010 »

A couple of other things I probably should have included....

I did check to see that the environment variable ADL_ODT_IN was not being used.

Additionally, the other 2 computers that the 3d Navigator functions correctly are using the same CATIA environment as the computer that the Navigator will not work.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks
bytor2010

Post by bytor2010 »

Solved the problem by fully uninstalling all versions of CATIA and 3d Connexion.

Deleted the relative installation folders from Program Files.

Went through the registry and removed entries pertaining to Dassault Systemes and 3d Connexion.

Re-installed software.

I suspect the issue was that CATIA R18 was installed first by IT. I installed R17 after getting the computer.
bytor2010

Post by bytor2010 »

Re-visiting this issue:

We have had several instances where, following a CATIA R17 crash, the spacemouse stops working in R17. It continues to work fine in other applications (SolidWorks, 3dx Demos, etc) and even in other releases of CATIA.

The problem seems to be related to a registry entry that Windows 7 creates when dealing with the crash. The entry seems to interrupt communication between the spacemouse and CATIA. Deleting the entry resolves the issue.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]

C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\B17\win_b64\code\bin\CNEXT.exe=DISABLEUSERCALLBACKEXCEPTION
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi bytor2010,
RThe problem seems to be related to a registry entry that Windows 7 creates when dealing with the crash. The entry seems to interrupt communication between the spacemouse and CATIA. Deleting the entry resolves the issue.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]

C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\B17\win_b64\code\bin\CNEXT.exe=DISABLEUSERCALLBACKEXCEPTION
This is very interesting information. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I believe this is the first time we get a similar report. Are you positive the issue is resolved by deleting the reg keys?

The reg key you refer are used by the Program-Compatibility-Assistant and we were not aware of issues caused by this tool with CATIA.

Having said, Dassault Systemes does not certify R17 to run on Windows 7. More information here.
Nuno Gomes
bytor2010

Post by bytor2010 »

Hi Nuno,

We are aware that R17 is not supported on Windows 7, but the use of R17 is required by one of our customers. Rather than working with dual boot computers, we just run it in Win7.

I have been chasing this issue for a little while now, and was able to finally narrow it down to that specific registry key. When a computer lost functionality of the Space Navigator this morning and I deleted only this key from the registry and the Navigator started working again. No reboots, no re-installing software. I didn't even stop and restart the 3dx driver. I only deleted this key.

As a double check, I recreated the registry key on the same computer and the space navigator stopped working. Deleted the key a second time...navigator started working again.

As a note, I had closed CATIA before each registry edit to ensure that CATIA was not actively communicating (or trying to communicate) with the space navigator.

The only test that I could not complete successfully was to create this registry on a computer not having problems with the spacemouse and create the problem. I attempted this on a different computer that I had repaired on another day via regedit. It seems that after removing the registry key and rebooting, the problem cannot be replicated without a CATIA crash.

There is not a lot of information about DISABLEUSERCALLBACKEXCEPTION available on the web, but I was able to identify it as a Program-Compatibility key.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi bytor2010,

It appears that it is necessary to change CATIA to fully prevent the problem (executable manifest change?) but, as R17 is not supported in Win 7, this is not an option.

Outright disabling Program Compatibility Assistant (PAC) cannot be constructed as a solution to this issue.

I suggest having a look at the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit. This tool is referenced in the Microsoft Support knowledge base 931709.
bytor2010

Post by bytor2010 »

An additional note on this:

It appears that this issue is not isolated to R17 on Windows7. Today, a co-worker running CATIA R18 (with Win7) had a crash that caused his spacemouse to stop functioning.

The reg hack listed below was used to get the spacemouse functional again without having to uninstall-reinstall any software (CATIA or 3dx).

Of course, in his instance, the entry that needed to be deleted was:

C:\Program Files\Dassault Systemes\B18\win_b64\code\bin\CNEXT.exe=DISABLEUSERCALLBACKEXCEPTION

FWIW...it seems that once this key has been generated and deleted one time, the problem does not reoccur on that machine. I've had many crashes since first finding this solution, but have not had my spacemouse disabled again.
bijin

Re: 3d Navigator works in CATIA R18 but not R17

Post by bijin »

i had installed catia r19 in my xp 32bit,but nw im not able to install catia r20,any can help to resolve the prblm