No running driver

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dickda1

No running driver

Post by dickda1 »

I installed the 3dConnection software as of two days ago on my machine running XP. My Space Navigator does not light up and no new hardware shows detected. When I attempt to shut down the 3dConnection service to restart, I get a message that driver not installed. Demos fail to run. I reinstalled the code and also ran the repair from the 3dConnection directory but no success.

Any ideas?

Dick
San Francisco
Fred

Post by Fred »

Do you have any Antivirus or Spyware applications.
If so try disabling then restart open the 3DControl panel this will also launch the driver if its not started.
Another thing to do is unplug the device.
Hold down the 1,2 button while holding down the button replug in the device wait 15 seconds and release.
Now try opening the 3DControl panel.

Go to our Website and download then install the current driver for your device.
Especially if your running WIN 7.
dickda1

Post by dickda1 »

Thanks for the very quick reply. I tried your advice, but still no luck

Here is what I finally did on my machine running XP rev SP2:
1. Unistalled 3dConnection software.
2. Shutdown adware/virus protection
3. Unzipped 3DxSoftware_v3-8-2 and ran the 3DxSoftware install application.
4. Severals screens into the install a "Files in Use" screen appeared and showed that 3DxSoftware_v3-8-2 was in use. I closed this process from the Task Manager and hit retry. The install continued.
5. The install eventually popped up my browser and attempted to contact www.3dConnection.com/registration.asp?vsersion=3.8.2. I was not connected to the net at that time and closed the browser.
6. The 3DConnection Control Panel shortcut appeared on my Desktop, but Task Manager shows not running 3dxsrv.exe process.
7. Clicking the 3DConnection Control Panel shortcut causes the 3dxsrv.exe process to appear momentarily on the Task Manager and then disappear whether Space Navigator is plugged in or not.
8. I rebooted, insured that virus protection was turned off. Did not see the 3dxsrv.exe process appear during bootup and watched it die immediately after the 3DConnection Control Panel shortcut was clicked.

Is net connection connection required during installation in order to register 3.8.2? Is this lack of registration causing 3dxsrv to be cancelled?

Thanks,

Dick

:(
Fred

Post by Fred »

Doing the 1,2 button fix usually gets the device recognized.
IF it doesnt call the Support desk and they will do a RMA and get it replaced. It appears you have a Bad device.
dickda1

Post by dickda1 »

Really appreciate your help. But, while my device was never dropped or otherwise abused, have had it for a several months now so can't RMA. Maybe will try Space Navigator again in the future if I read that QA has improved.
Fred

Post by Fred »

IF the Device is under warranty please call our desk, we do the RMA.
dickda1

Success with replacement

Post by dickda1 »

I received a replacement Space Navigator today. Tried it out and it worked perfectly with currently installed driver. Am surprised that the original device was inopt and just assumed that it was a software problem. I use mine with Blender, Rhino3D, Inventor and Google Earth.

I am grateful for 3dConnection's commitment to customer satisfaction and will make sure my co-workers know about it. :D