Translation the source data of 3d navigator

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

shalti

Translation the source data of 3d navigator

Post by shalti »

hello all,

im a beginner in that area of development for windows. I want to translate the source data for midi apllication, this mean that i need to understand the input of the device. how the device represent the vector of my hand moving sensitive, How it represent the DOF?.
In briefly, where do i should start to get control the device for my specific application?

(when i tried to reed the device from my midi program, it shows two columns of numbers one that shows channels from 0-20 with jumping ie 0,4,8,12,16,20 maybe the dof, and the second column shows running numbers from -infinite to +infinite with respect to each channel of the first column, but i didnt figure out the roles of thus num' for controlling the axes)

many thanks!
shalti. :roll:
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello shalti,

What software are you using to get this data? The device isn't a midi device, so you must be using some software that translates the data from HID to midi.

There are 6 axes and separate button events that come from the device. It could be that your software is translating the 6 axes to the 0,4,8,12,16,20 "channels" and the data is being given to you as the second number. For instance, the 0 channel could be the translation right/left value, etc.

Try this: concentrate on giving data along one axis, a single translation or a single rotation along a specific axis. See if one of the channels increases and decreases specifically along that axis, while leaving the others fairly close to zero. Your hand won't be able to produce a purely single axis movement, but you should be able to get fairly close.

The raw data from the device only generally runs in the +/- 400 range. If you see something beyond that, your software is scaling the data.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
shalti

Post by shalti »

Hi,
thank you Jim for the help!

Im using MAX, that can translates device input to coordinates that can be used further for midi applications. I allready tried your suggestion and its very hard to see regularity because in fact, i dont know what each axes tells , i.e. if there was only 3 axes, i would probably attribute each one to the 3 coordinate in space: X,Y,Z so i could map it . but how the space navigator attribute his 6 axes?
shalti

Post by shalti »

oh.. i can see the vector translation in the documentation file!
3DxInputI_API