Another plea for universal drivers, or rivals will pass you

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Magic Man

Another plea for universal drivers, or rivals will pass you

Post by Magic Man »

I've had my Space Navigator for a couple of months now and am very happy with it for what it does under the supported apps. But, as everyone knows and wants here, that is not enough.

I've installed the custom written driver and that is excellent but still would prefer 3DX written and supported drivers as would many.

You even advertise the new laptop sized SN as "Universal compatibility
SpaceNavigator for Notebooks works with all your favorite 3D applications on Windows" which is clearly incorrect.

The thing is, I think unless the driver issue is sorted out then these products will never rise above the niche market they have now...

Edit: hide text violating the Forum Rules ("Don't post ads").

More importantly though is that they are actively going to publishers with a new business model to get their device supported. Their one deal with EA alone could potentially mean their device will be supported by more products than the 3DX 3d mouse is currently.

That product could well be used in a 3d environment and kick the 3d mouse into touch unless something is done now to enable true universal support. 3dx needs to get out there and put their support in products rather than waiting for the publishers of those products to come to you - which is never going to happen in the vast majority of cases so get a universal driver support development underway

Edit: hide text violating the Forum Rules ("Don't post ads").

yuriythebest

Post by yuriythebest »

yup, universal drivers please!
yuriythebest

Post by yuriythebest »

also why did you block Magic Man's references to other products? He is just trying to help. are you that insecure about your product??
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

The fact that you removed my reference to that device I think says it all I'm afraid.

It wasn't an advert, it was a link to a tech' site describing the business model that is driving this device which isn't even available yet.

You know what though, I'll be one of the first in line looking to get one and will now be contacting them to ask that they look at the 3d modeling and graphics areas because, quite frankly, there is little support there at the moment...

You even deleted the name of the item... sad, very sad... :cry: perhaps it's not just a business model you could learn from these guys, a little bit of customer support would go a long way as well...
InterestedAnimator

Post by InterestedAnimator »

I'm very interested in other devices I was able to find using a simple google search, I bought a space navigator to try out this device, and am happy with it in 3dsmax and maya, but the lack of Zbrush support, or even caring about support for more apps is displeasing. I bought the device to have a universal control system between apps, so I didn't have to remember that you right click in this app and double middle click or w/e in another app. But that all breaks down when now 3d sculpting software like zbrush or mudbox is supported. And as we all know 3dconnexion tells us to go talk to those companies. I want to buy a space pilot but will not do so until this is addressed. And I'm afraid that if it is addressed by another company you will lose that area of the market, especially after arguing with you about it for so long. Once someone else supports zbrush 3dsmax and maya with their 6dof device I'll migrate there, and will be unlikely to migrate back even if you support the software, if something new comes out, it might take you another 2 years or so to support it. But hey, people get to use the device in the Game second life now... So who cares about the 3d art industry, leave that to your competitors I suppose...

PS. I made the name InterestedAnimator when I was interested, now im more... disgruntled.