Frequent Autocad Architecture 2008 crashes with 3.4.2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

michi75

Post by michi75 »

This morning I experienced about half a dozen "Fatal error" crashes with the latest 3.4.2 driver in Autocad Architecture 2008 that I had just installed. Tech support had no explanation, temporarily disabling other pieces of hardware (Calcomp DBIII, wireless mouse) didn't help, only reverting to the 3.3.6 driver seemed to put an end to the madness for the time being, albeit with the quirks (can only zoom so far) that come with it.
Anyone with a similar experience and a suggestion to go along with it?
mf
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi michi75

I would like to ask you to switch-on the log-writing function of the driver available in the 3Dconnexion Control Panel under "Tools" named "Write Log File".

Please start afterwards AutoCAD Architecture 2008 and after a crash switch-off the log-writing function again.

If you have a log file send me a private message and I will send you a reply specifying an address whereto you should send it.
agoenczi
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi michi75

I installed AutoCAD Architecture 2008 I activated the "Update Wizard" and I started AutoCAD Architecture 2008.

I was able to navigate without any limitation (the navigation isn't perfect but it works). Finally I checked the navigation with the 2 drawings you have sent. I have seen no problem.

Could you specify some details about your hardware?
agoenczi
michi75

Post by michi75 »

Hi Agoenczi

Here is my setup.
Computer:
MB= Asus P5W64WS Pro, Proc= Intel C2D E6600, Ram= 2GB Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400, Video= PNY Quadro FX 3500, Storage= (4) Seagate 320 GB SATA II with Areca ARC-1210 RAID controller in RAID 5, Bluegears b-Enspirer soundcard, Apollo faxmodem, (1) Plextor SATA DVD-RW and (1) HP DVD-RW
Peripherals:
- Logitech Cordless Click Plus wireless mouse, mouse driver 9.79
- Calcomp Drawing Board III, Wintab 1.1 driver v.7.46
- Spaceball 5000 USB, driver 3.3.6
- USB 2 TV Tuner
- USB Scanner (usually off)
Software:
Windows XP SP2, Norton 360, Autocad Architecture 2008 and the usual assortment of additional software, word, excel, quicken, etc.

I think that's about it,
have a nice weekend,
Michael
woodlandtechie

Post by woodlandtechie »

hello to all,

I have exactly the same problem with my spacepilot and Autocad 2008.

When I have the 3.4.2 software installed Autocad crashes anytime I select a block or polyline. Othe 2d entities are genrally not a problem but dynamic blocks causes instant implosion.

For now I've had to remove the software but I am very dissapointed with the performance of the current drivers.

For now I'm going to try rolling back to a previous driver. I'll post my findings once done.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi woodlandtechie,
When I have the 3.4.2 software installed Autocad crashes anytime I select a block or polyline. Othe 2d entities are genrally not a problem but dynamic blocks causes instant implosion.
Would it be possible for you to provide a step-by-step procedure on how to reproduce the problem you're observing? Also, can you reproduce the problem with any document (just by selecting a "dynamic block")?
woodlandtechie

Post by woodlandtechie »

Ok, so far so good. I've reinstalled 3.2.2 and finger crossed have had no problems so far.

With the 3.4.2 drivers installed Autocad crashes with the follwing error:

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled e06d7363h Exception at 7c81eb33h

sometimes I receive an out of memory error from Autocad. I'll try and reproduce this and post the actual error codes later today.

followed shortly after by:

Runtime Error! Program c: R6025 Pure Virtual Function Call.

In my drawings I make use of custom dynamic blocks and closed dynamic polyline entities. With 3.4.2 installled if I click on any of these object types Autocad freezes. single lines and text do not appear to cause any problems so far. By clicking on I mean simply selecting, as Autocad freezes instantly i don't get to the editing stage.

My workstation specs are: HP XW400, Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 2.66 hz 250 GB Hdd, 2 GB Ram, Win XP Pro. Page file on a separate partiton away from the OS.
YippieYo

similar problem

Post by YippieYo »

I also get this AutoCAD crashing problem. It happens when I'm zooming in and out.

The error is:

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Access Violation Reading 0x63ffffff Exception at 62069659

I'm running the 3.4.2 driver and running AutoCAD 2008 (2D drafting) on Win XP Pro. You guys going to fix this?

-Cris
ngomes

Re: similar problem

Post by ngomes »

Hi YippieYo,
You guys going to fix this?
Without a reproducible scenario, it is not possible for us to confirm it one way or the other.

What we can tell you is that we have fixed a bug introduced in release 3.4 that was causing AutoCAD -based applications, including MDT, to crash.

The fix is included in release 3.5 which will be made available for download soon (in matter of days).
michi75

New driver, same old story

Post by michi75 »

Well, it was a short-lived hope that the 3.5.5 driver would remedy all ills in AutoCad Architecture 2008. I used it for a couple of hours, had (4) Fatal exceptions by now, that's enough for me, back to 3.3.6 .....
mf
michi75

Post by michi75 »

Any predictions on ACAD 2007/2008 fixes for your driver?

I am getting so sick and tired of the 'bling' sound, and AutoCad crashing again. There is no pattern, it can happen right after opening a drawing and touching the Spaceball to zoom in, but the next time around it will be fine for a day or two in the same drawing.

If it can't be fixed, please let me know so I can modify my hardware setup accordingly.
mf
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi michi75,

Without a reproducible scenario, it is very difficult to pinpoint the problem. We're advising customers to forward the cash report to Autodesk (using the panel that comes up after the crash). They have tools that may help to spot a pattern.
michi75

Post by michi75 »

I wished I could provide a reproducible scenario of the ACAD crashes. With as many as I had I certainly would be able to describe a pattern if there was one. I experienced the same problems on my office machine and my laptop even though the hardware and driver configuration is completely different. Sometimes I can work a day without a problem, the next day I have a fatal exception a few moments and keystrokes opening the same drawing that I worked on all day long the day before.
As it appears to be an unresolvable issue I put the Spaceball and the Spacetraveler in the closet today to finally put an end to a counterproductive distraction and will look elsewhere for work tool enhancements. A real shame as the concept is a great one....
mf