Reassigning axis actions on SpaceNavigator

Post questions, comments and feedback to our 3Dconnexion Windows Development Team.

Moderator: Moderators

Eric Golden

Reassigning axis actions on SpaceNavigator

Post by Eric Golden »

I am wanting to switch the actions of "Tilt" and "Spin" on my SpaceNavigator, specifically to be used with Pro/Engineer (I want what "Tilt" does to be what is currently only available on the "Spin" axis, and vice versa). You can already do this with the Zoom Direction on the Device Configuration tab; I just want to be able to do this same thing with other axes and actions other than Zoom. My questions are:

1. Is this functionality coming in future releases of the 3Dconnexion Control Panel software?
2. If not, can I edit a file to be able to switch controller input axes to different actions?

It seems like this is a software configuration issue that could easily be added to the Control Panel software, just like you can assign the buttons on your mouse to do different things.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Yes, you can change the config file for your application to accomplish this. When you go into the 3DxWare GUI and change the "Zoom direction", it chooses between the AXIS_MAP_VRT_USER and AXIS_MAP_HRZ_USER entries for your device in your config file. To swap, say Tilt and Spin, you'd swap the R and U letter positions.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
Last edited by jwick on Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tralik

Post by Tralik »

I am needing the same thing but do not completely understand your response. Which file contains this information? Is it the .dll file in the /3dxProEngineer/ directory? If so, how do I edit it if I am not a programmer? If it is not the .dll file, which file should I be looking for? Thanks in advance for the help.
jwick

Post by jwick »

See this post for more details on AXIS_MAPs

The file that needs to be changed is 3DxProE.scg. It can be edited with notepad. It is normally (English) in:

C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware\3DxWare\en_us\profiles\default

Jim
3Dx Software Development