Google Earth gone wrong? It's probably another controller.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Mobius

Google Earth gone wrong? It's probably another controller.

Post by Mobius »

Recently, Google Earth started to pan up continuously when using the Space Navigator. I spent a lot of time diagnosing the fault, before identifying the stupid way Google treats controllers when the "enable controller" tick box is selected.

Google earth treats ANY and ALL controllers as a 3D Mouse - even a joystick. But not only do Google not permit you to select a controller to use with GE, they also interpret the controller inputs in a very silly way.

What was causing the constant pan-up in GE was the throttle control on my Logitech 3D Pro: it interprets a throttle at ZERO, as being "PULL UP" in the panning control. It thinks "full speed" is "pan down" and it thinks mid-throttle is "no input" - which is ridiculous, as the throttle is not mid-point-based control, is is zero-based.

This has cost me more than 10 hours of lost time, and I now think the Google Earth people are complete fools.
jwick

Re: Google Earth gone wrong? It's probably another controlle

Post by jwick »

Feel free to tell the GE developers to contact us to help them fix their code.
Dave92F1

Post by Dave92F1 »

How? I can't find any way to contact the GE developers.

I've the exact same problem - any installed joystick breaks GE if you have a SpaceNavigator too.

I came here just to report this...
Fred

Post by Fred »

You can go to Google site use the link below
http://support.google.com/earth/bin/request.py
If your a GoogleEarth Pro user there is a link you can send them an email, under email us.
MargaretBeamer

Post by MargaretBeamer »

I've tried GE help forums. Thanks for the link. I've tried to contact them. Still waiting their answer.
adlena

Post by adlena »

i was sending them email through my gmail account but it was coming back, i do not knw what is the problem.anybody plz help
alex
brahamhughes

Post by brahamhughes »

I have this problem too. It only seems to be in GE as other software (Blender, etc) behave as expected.

I've tried the calibrations process with offset then nulled, with no improvement.

GE shows the right and up arrows constantly.

If I just slightly touch the cap then it immediately zeros, but let go and it is off again - flying round the earth at full speed in a North Easterly direction.

Very annoying as in earlier versions of GE it worked really well.

I'm on GE version 7.1, Space Pilot Pro driver 10

MacOS Mavericks DP6.
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello brahamhughes -

The arrows can be turned off in Google Earth. [Google Earth menu - Tools | Options| Navigation | Non-mouse Controller - Un-check 'Enable visualization']

Clearing the GE cache can also resolve problems that are happening only in Google Earth. [Tools | Options| Cache]

If you are seeing different behavior for overall speed in GoogleEarth than in other applications, you can return to GoogleEarth default settings in the 3Dconnexion profile. [System Preferences- 3Dconnexion - Configure - Google Earth - Device tab - Use Defaults] If the speed variation occurs with specific axis directions, use the Axes tab defaults.
------------
Barbara