Incompatibility between space navigator and USB 3.0 ports

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Labrot

Incompatibility between space navigator and USB 3.0 ports

Post by Labrot »

Hello,

I have a issue with my space navigator, and I need your help to solve it. In February 2010, I bought a space navigator device in order to use Google Earth more efficiently :D However, last week, I changed my motherboard (I use now a Asus Z87-PRO rev 1.02 with latest BIOS 1205 and latest Intel USB 3.0 drivers, OS is Windows 7 x64 ultimate, latest space navigator drivers v3.17.6 r1586, and latest Google Earth version, 7.1.1.1888). Since this hardware modification, I am not able to use the space navigator on the USB 3.0 of the Z87 motherboard.

Sometimes, the blue light around the device doesn't turn on, the two lateral buttons are not responsive, and nothing happens inside Google Earth. Sometimes, the blue light glows, the two lateral buttons are working, but I still get no control at all inside Google Earth. And sometimes, everything is working for a few minutes, and then I lost completely the control.

I plugged the space navigator on the USB 2.0 located on the frontal panel of my PC, and linked to internal USB 2.0 connectors of the motherboard. In that case, I do not have any issue at all. The problem is that I cannot work correctly with the space navigator connected to the frontal panel.

The manual of the motherboard explains that, in some case, for legacy devices, a firmware update can be needed in order to permit the plug on USB 3.0 ports. I was not able to find any firmware update on the 3D connexion website (only drivers), and I want to know if you can maybe send me a recent firmware for my beloved space navigator.

Best regards,
Philippe
UtaSH

Re: Incompatibility between space navigator and USB 3.0 port

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Philippe,

please send me your PID in a PM so that I can check if we have a firmware update for your device.

Have you checked for a firmware update for your motherboard?
Labrot

Post by Labrot »

Hello UtaSH,

Thank you for our response. Unfortunately I cannot send PM (I got this message when trying: "We are sorry, but you are not authorized to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature").

I already upgraded the BIOS of the motherboard with the latest firmware, but I will continue to investigate on this side as well (the haswell USB 3.0 implementation is apparently not bug free). However, for the moment, I only have issue with the space navigator (no problem with the mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, webcam, etc).

Philippe
Labrot

Post by Labrot »

PID sent by PM :wink:
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Philippe,

unfortunately your device is not eligible for a firmware update. Sorry. We haven't yet had reports that there are problemwith USB 3.0 ports. I will see if I can get more information from my colleagues what else we can investigate here.
Labrot

Post by Labrot »

Hello UtaSH,

Thank you for your answer, and your help. I have followed your advice, and plug the space navigator on an USB hub with external power supply, and everything is working correctly again :D

Best regards,
Philippe
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Philippe,

I am glad to hear that you found a solution. :D