3DS Max 2014 - Spacemouse pro won't work

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

fingerindust

3DS Max 2014 - Spacemouse pro won't work

Post by fingerindust »

Hi
As the title says - I have read the other post in this forum asking the same question, but its not admin rights for me as I do have full admin rights. I have Max 2012 and 2014 installed and wondered if it was looking at the wrong .exe but it won't let me install a new profile 'as I have one for Max' Grr.
Thoughts?

Cheers
Marcus
Barbara

Re: 3DS Max 2014 - Spacemouse pro won't work

Post by Barbara »

Hello Marcus -

'Admin rights' in this context refers to specific permissions given to applications rather than your own administrator rights.

Permissions for the 3DsMax add-in are only an issue when the application has been installed with elevated priveleges [using 'Run as administrator']. In that case, the 3Dconnexion software would require the same permission in order to communicate with 3DsMax.

You can look at Properties - Compatability for the 3DsMax 2014 .exe to see if 'Run as administrator' is checked. If it is, you can un-check it to run with standard permissions.

Is the 3Dconnexion add-in for 3DsMax 2014 installed ? If it is, you will see the 3DMouse News window open inside 3DsMax. If not, make sure you have the current driver - Release 3.17.6 - and run the installer again with 3DsMax 2014 closed.

If you are using the beta driver, make sure it is the current 3DxWare 10 Beta 16. The same method applies for installing the 3DsMax 2014 add-in - but questions would posted in the beta forum.
----------------
Barbara
fingerindust

Post by fingerindust »

Thanks Barbara - the 'Run as administrator' is unchecked in the Max properties, but I don't know what you mean about the Max 2014 add-in? Where can I download it from?
As far as which version I am using it is 10.0.14 - I have no idea if that is beta or not. Either way, as my Space pro dosn't work very well (buttion press issues) I I just uninstalled it it wouldn't let me re-install anything 3dconnexion related and had to do a full system restore to get it working, so I'm sticking with this driver and my dodgy buttons for now.

Cheers
Marcus
fingerindust

Post by fingerindust »

SOLVED, courtesy of Fred on another post
On a 64-bit PC:

Copy the "3dxstd.dlu" file from C:-->Program Files-->3Dconnexion-->3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware-->3DxStudio64-->x64 -->3DsMax2012 to the "stdplugs" sub-directory of 3Ds Max.

Copy "3DxStudio.ms" from C:-->Program Files-->3Dconnexion-->3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware-->3DxStudio64 to the scriptsstartup sub-directory of 3Ds Max
The driver hadn't created a 3D Max 2014 folder, only a 2013 folder so I manual copied across the above to the correct folders in 2014!
Phew.

Now to solve my mad buttons!
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hi fingerindust -

The add-in allows our devices to be used in 3DsMax. That was what you copied with Fred's steps.

10.0.14 is the previous beta driver version - that is why you are not seeing a 3DsMax 2014 folder . The current 3DxWare 10 Beta 16 - 10.0.16 - contains the 3DsMax 2014 add-in - that would install without needing to copy the files.

The beta driver has some options that are not in the released driver. The beta forum can help with the button mapping options.
-----------
Barbara
fingerindust

Post by fingerindust »

Excellent - thanks Barbara, I'll head over there...
Cheers
Marcus