Second Life

Use this forum to discuss and share profiles for applications, games, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Second Life

Postby jwick » Mon May 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Second Life only uses the first joystick-type device it finds. It finds the 3DxWare emulation joystick before it finds the native SpaceNavigator, so it tries to use that, which doesn't work well.

To work with Second Life, you have to Disable the 3Dconnexion emulation Joystick. After this, SL will use the native 3D mouse.

You also have to define a special profile for Second Life.

The steps are:

1) Start the Device Manager and find the "HID-compliant game controller" that has an ID Value of HID/3DXKMJ_HIDMINI&Col03 (Properties->Details->Hardware Ids).

2) Disable that device (Properties->Driver->Disable).

3) Create a profile for Second Life using the 3DMouse template.

4) Edit that new profile with notepad. Change
<Transport>S80</Transport>
to
<Transport>DirectInput</Transport>

5) Restart Second Life.

6) Make sure you Enable your 3D mouse at the top of in Second Life->Me->Preferences->Move & View->Other Devices.

You have to reenable your emulation joystick in the Device Manager to play other games that use the joystick interface.
jwick

Postby Filthy Adored » Sat May 07, 2011 6:30 am

Thanks for that , fixed it i was about to cry lol, the instructions worked perfectly when I followed what they said not what I thought u meant XD :)
Filthy Adored

Postby jwick » Tue May 31, 2011 9:19 am

The SpacePilot PRO acts differently in SecondLife than the other devices. The object under control, or the view, springs back to center when the device springs back to center.

To make it work correctly, open the SL preference settings. You will find an option for "3D Cursor". With the SPP, uncheck this option and it will work fine. This checkbox toggles SL between "relative" and "absolute" mode for interpreting the data coming from 3Dx devices.
jwick

I still need help with Second Life.

Postby maarauer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Greetings everyone :)

I read this thread and searched the net, but still haven't been able to properly configure my spacenavigator for SL.

It works almost all right, even though I don't seem to be able to control the settings for this program. For example, I'd really, REALLY like to reverse all axes, because I don't feel comfortable at all with the defaults. But no matter how I change the settings, nothing changes in the 3dSN behavior. So, something is wrong in the settings.

I tried to do as was adviced in this thread. First of all, I don't find any HID compliant game controller with that id. I do find the id's and drivers, so I know I'm in the right place. So I don't know which driver I should turn off, or maybe I shouldn't?

None of my settings in the control panel seem to affect the navigator behavior in SL. I've tried altering 'all applications' and created a profile with Second Life name - but no change. BTW I don't even know how and where to point a certain 3d navigator profile to a certain program: there seems to be no clear guidance about this either. Or maybe I am just blind, in which case I'm happy if I'm given links to guiding pages...

Anyway. Tried everything I could think of, without results. So I'm really happy if someone can help. I'd appreciate if I had some control over my 3DSN... Thanks in advance!
maarauer

Postby Hypersonic » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:35 pm

When you create a profile you can select the executable.

Click 3dxWare from the toolbar, then click manage profiles button, then click the add button, then in step one (left side) you select the executable (3 ways to do that) then step 2 (right side) you select a template from which to start with from the drop down menu. You can then alter the name and executable name (right side).

I'm not sure what the executable is for Second Life, possibly whatever you click on to start it, unless that's a launcher. When playing try minimizing it, then you should be able to see the executable name on the taskbar.

One can change the executable from a pre-existing profile by editing the .xml file in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\ also, using notepad. Edit the <ExecutableName> field. I don't see a way from the User interface though.

Looking at the beginning of this thread it looks like there's a few other things to set for this simulation.
Hypersonic

Postby maarauer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks Hypersonic.

The path to the executable must've altered during re-installations and upgrades of SL viewer, and I was trying to find a way to check the path via 3DSN user interface. Now I know that's not even possible... so I just deleted all my previous program profiles and created a brand new one. Voilá , it works. Why do solutions always seem so stupidly simple - afterwards *sigh* :)

Thanks for the tip!
maarauer

Postby Hypersonic » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm glad its working now. Sometimes starting from scratch makes it easier.

Actually 3dxWare doesn't keep track of where an executable is located (the path.) it seems. Just whenever an executable with that name is run it feeds that application the data, using DirectInput I believe.
Hypersonic

3dmouse software and drivers

Postby Mienja » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I've got a conundrum with drivers/software for my SpacePilot Pro. Just got it in the mail a few days ago. At first I Installed the suggested drivers from THIS [img]http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/junolea/Second%20Life/win7-64.png
[/img]
Then I try to install the use everywhere software from http://www.3dconnexion.com/index.php?id=60
that page. And it says I've already got the software installed. Which one am I supposed to use to create profiles or are they the same, because the version numbers don't match up at all. Is the file for the 3DxWare 10 Beta 11 (Windows 64-bit) installing the drivers as well or what? I'm trying to get this set up before I give up and call to get my return item slip :(
Mienja

Postby jwick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Mienja,

Those are two different versions of the driver. The one in the photobucket image is the shipping driver (3DxWare 6). The one in the link, is a new beta driver.

They should both work with all applications that support the 3D mouse directly. You need the beta of 3DxWare 10 ("3D Mouse Anywhere") to work with applications that do not directly support the 3D mouse.

You have to uninstall 3DxWare 6 before you can install 3DxWare 10. You can switch back if you don't like it.
jwick

Postby Mienja » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:30 pm

jwick wrote:Mienja,

Those are two different versions of the driver. The one in the photobucket image is the shipping driver (3DxWare 6). The one in the link, is a new beta driver.

They should both work with all applications that support the 3D mouse directly. You need the beta of 3DxWare 10 ("3D Mouse Anywhere") to work with applications that do not directly support the 3D mouse.

You have to uninstall 3DxWare 6 before you can install 3DxWare 10. You can switch back if you don't like it.

Thank you so much for the speedy reply, I wanted to delete one of the posts but couldn't find a way to do that....thanks so much for clearing that up for me!
Mienja

Re: Second Life

Postby pawprint_net » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 am

jwick wrote:Second Life only uses the first joystick-type device it finds. It finds the 3DxWare emulation joystick before it finds the native SpaceNavigator, so it tries to use that, which doesn't work well.

To work with Second Life, you have to Disable the 3Dconnexion emulation Joystick. After this, SL will use the native 3D mouse.

Thanks for that - took some time to get that working. I can't tell what types of transport actually need the joystick emulation - can it just be left off safely if nothing seems to need it? along those lines is there a list of transport types somewhere?
pawprint_net

Postby jwick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:53 am

pawprint_net wrote:Thanks for that - took some time to get that working. I can't tell what types of transport actually need the joystick emulation - can it just be left off safely if nothing seems to need it? along those lines is there a list of transport types somewhere?

Joystick (and Keyboard and Mouse) emulation is for applications that don't support the 3D mouse properly. Some of those applications, especially flight sims, support the joystick. In those cases, we can throw joystick events at them. It works very well. See some of the videos on youtube.

The current list of Transports is:
KMJ (Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick emulation)
HID (HID API from Microsoft)
RawInput (Microsoft Raw Input API)
DirectInput (the Microsoft DirectInput API)
S80 (current 3DxWare SDK API)
MWM (ancient 3Dconnexion API)
jwick

Postby pawprint_net » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:21 am

Joystick (and Keyboard and Mouse) emulation is for applications that don't support the 3D mouse properly. Some of those applications, especially flight sims, support the joystick. In those cases, we can throw joystick events at them. It works very well. See some of the videos on youtube.

Again, thanks - the list helps. I'm still confused by the Joystick driver disable for SL though - because it's listed as a "Keyboard + Joystick + Mouse" driver. So When I disable that driver, I expect it will also break the keyboard and mouse emulation. However - keyboard and mouse seem to work just fine in desktop and in some profiles I am playing with for Premiere and Nuendo. I don't really need Joystick emulation and I do need Second Life but I hope to keep the mouse and keyboard for other things - does it make any sense why K+M would still be working?

It's all a moot point to some extent since everything I want to work is working - I just have the kind of brain that rebels when I don't understand 'why' it's working.
pawprint_net

Postby jwick » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:08 am

pawprint_net wrote:Again, thanks - the list helps. I'm still confused by the Joystick driver disable for SL though - because it's listed as a "Keyboard + Joystick + Mouse" driver. So When I disable that driver, I expect it will also break the keyboard and mouse emulation. However - keyboard and mouse seem to work just fine in desktop and in some profiles I am playing with for Premiere and Nuendo. I don't really need Joystick emulation and I do need Second Life but I hope to keep the mouse and keyboard for other things - does it make any sense why K+M would still be working?

It's all a moot point to some extent since everything I want to work is working - I just have the kind of brain that rebels when I don't understand 'why' it's working.
I hadn't thought that just disabling the joystick device was enough stop Second Life from picking it up. Good to know it does. I thought you disabled the entire KMJ driver. That would have disabled K&M also.

Second Life is properly supported. It doesn't use the joystick emulation.
jwick

Postby pawprint_net » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 pm

I just followed the instructions above and disabled the HID Game Controller in device manager. Seems to give me _exactly_ what I want.

So far I gotta say this device is one of the best "bang for the buck" upgrades I have ever added. I can't wait to start playing with AutoHotKey and see what mischief I can get up to for controlling other editing suites. Thanks again for the rapid-fire answers!
pawprint_net

Next

Return to 3DxWare 10 Profile Exchange