Suggestion to use Logitech profiler.

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Riven

Suggestion to use Logitech profiler.

Post by Riven »

I have a lot of high-end Logitech products like the G15 keyboard and G500 Mouse. I have noticed that they all use a much better systems for key-mapping buttons compared to the SpacePilot. Also, they have a key micro manager that allows you to input wait-times and key press/release inputs. As well as assigning short-cuts, scripts, functions, text blocks, etc...

Seeing how 3DConnexion is a Logitech company why not use the same Logitech functions for the SpacePilot button mapping? Since currently only the most basic key-mapping is available in the button configuration.

Just a thought. :wink:
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear Riven,

The usage of a 3D navigation device is a bit different than that of a keyboard. The Windows Graphical User Interface doesn't make use of our device, so something like assigning a short-cut wouldn't make much sense. But it is an interesting thought though, thank you. The buttons were mostly set up to give 3D CAD applications a method by which their users could execute some of the application's commands.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Riven

Post by Riven »

The usage of a 3D navigation device is a bit different than that of a keyboard.
:roll: Maybe, but I don't see the difference here a programmable button is a programmable button.
Something like assigning a short-cut wouldn't make much sense.
I think it would be useful to set a button start-up favorite 3d software modeling programs, maybe have it open the reference images folder, maybe start-up the good old windows calculator for some quick calculations.
The buttons were mostly set up to give 3D CAD applications a method by which their users could execute some of the application's commands.
The Button Configuration tab currently lets users set basic Custom Functions. But, if you used the same key-manager used for other Logitech products. It would be improved to make application commands more accurately interpreted and allow for more complex functions. Since you could control the exact timing of your key press/release and delays between. Also, the system is in general easier to use from an interface perspective for editing commands.
jwick

Post by jwick »

The next release of 3DxSoftware will be able to do the configuration you suggest. This is currently in a closed beta test program. An open beta is forthcoming.