My Ball is old and saggy?

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

muse

My Ball is old and saggy?

Post by muse »

Why can't I get my Spaceball 2003 (I think that's right?) working in Soldiworks 2008? It worked perfectly in 2007. I've hardly used this thing, and was thinking if I liked it I would upgrade. I have seen the posts about work-arounds but can find the files no-where. I'm thinking I may be better off finding a similar product from a different company, maybe one that has some customer support/understanding. I'm a student, I can't afford a brand new spaceball every few years. So instead of creating new sales, 3D Connexion is loosing sales because engineering students are not getting familar with their products at an undergraduate level.

If you can help me, then drop me a line.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Driver and support is no longer available for the 2003, 3003 devices.
Spaceball 2003 devices have not been supported for many years.
muse

Post by muse »

Even after manually correcting the computers registry it still is mucked up. The only thing that will help is a re-format of my entire system (last done about a month ago). But as I am working on my fourth year engineering project I cannot afford to mess further with my system.

Will a USB adapter make the spaceball work as a USB model?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi muse,

An adapter from serial to USB is not supported from our side. The serial device and the USB models have a totally different protocol, thus it is not very likely that you will have success with an adapter.

We have a personal edition of the SpaceNavigator that has a price that should be affordable even for students. For a local reseller see here.

Uta Ludwig
3Dconnexion
muse

Post by muse »

Why pay twice for the same functionality? I will look for a similar product elsewhere.
muse

Post by muse »

muse wrote:Why pay twice for the same functionality? I will look for a similar product elsewhere.
Actually, appologies, the model you mention has "less" functionality than what I was already using.
muse

Post by muse »

What I am using is the Spaceball 2003 (I think that's right). The RRP when is was new was $1200 US. Not cheap at all.
There is a 3D gaming mouse that people are using for Solidworks, might be a better option as I do play games, therefore it can be used for more than one thing.