Joystick Driver request

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Galemp

Post by Galemp »

jwick wrote:I'm looking for specific examples of exactly what applications you want to use these devices with--say for instance we wanted to buy applications to test. In fact, if you could list the name and version that would help.
Galemp wrote:Here are links to the Descent II and Freespace 2 source, binaries, demo assets, and documentation.
Buy Descent + Descent II for $5.99

Buy Freespace 2 for $5.99

Direct download, DRM free.
Shoggy

Post by Shoggy »

I see it exactly like CatPunk. I don't know why we are always asked to mention some specific programs or games when a I-can-do-everything-driver like the one from RBC9 would be the best solution.

We bought a Space Navigator for our company. The first time I used it I really liked it but it did not make any sense to buy one for home until I saw the driver from RBC9 - a few minutes later I placed an order at Amazon.

Guess what? Only a few days later I borrowed my Space Navigator with the RBC9 driver to a colleague and he also bought one.

At a Lanparty we had them on our desk and everyone was asking what this blue glowing thing is... Believe me or not: a few friends played around with it and afterweards they also bought one - everytime only because of the fact that the RBC9 driver allowed everything to do with it.

The device + the correct driver is like a virus. You could sell hundred thousands of it if you really want to! So, where is the problem? You even have access to the source code as a good base.

I do everything with my Space Explorer. I even play Ego Shooters like Battlefield 2 or Unreal Tournament 3 with it. The option to combine a mouse, joystick and the feature to bind keys or actions only to a specfic range of an axis is an AWESOME feature and allows a control like nothing else on this planet. You can do so many things at the same time with a simple move where you would get crazy to do the same with a keyboard - and even if you could do, you will never do it as fast as with the Space Explorer + RBC9 driver.

If you don't want to make the money someone other here in the forum hopefully will see his chance. I would spend some money for a Vista/Windows7 64Bit driver without hesitation.

My god, sell it as Logitech G360 Next Gaming Device XT 2.0 or whatever for twice the price but just do something now! I have never seen such a level of ignorance when tons of money are lying around on the street.

(I feel much better now :))
Betzge

Post by Betzge »

@Shoggy,

you say what I also for a long time thinks
I also play with the SN ego shoter and many of my friends bought the SN to after they have seen him in action with the driver RBC9.

I hope 3d sees the potential of the device and provide a driver like the RBC9

Best regards

Betzge
Galemp

Post by Galemp »

Shoggy wrote:My god, sell it as Logitech G360 Next Gaming Device XT 2.0 or whatever for twice the price but just do something now! I have never seen such a level of ignorance when tons of money are lying around on the street.
They have support for Second Life. Just imagine what they could get from the World of Warcraft crowd...
p1p3

Post by p1p3 »

Galemp wrote:
Shoggy wrote:My god, sell it as Logitech G360 Next Gaming Device XT 2.0 or whatever for twice the price but just do something now! I have never seen such a level of ignorance when tons of money are lying around on the street.
They have support for Second Life. Just imagine what they could get from the World of Warcraft crowd...
I'm running WoW using the RBC9 driver and the ability to fully control the character and camera while having a hand free for spellcasting is amazing. Almost feels like cheating :)
Still there are a lot of thing to desire from the setup. An official driver would solve all the problems with driver signing and 3dconnexion have better ability to do driver debugging than most of us here on the forum.
A middle ground would be if 3dconnexion could provide the signed drivers similar to the RBC9 driver and let the community handle the configuration utility. Its not the optimal solution but at least we will get a signed stable driver to work from. The biggest problem now is that running in kernel mode is a big no no if you don't have a couple of hundred dollars to spare and your own company.
B1gTaz

Post by B1gTaz »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would just like to throw my hat in to the conversation. I have paid nearly $600 now in order to use a SpacePilot at home and at my office without moving one back and forth. I would love to have it explained to me why an amateur with only a cursory knowledge of 3DConnexion/Logitec drivers is able to produce a working model of a game control driver for the $100 Space Navigator, and yet the manufacturer appears unable/unwilling to do the same for the SN or for the $300 SpacePilot. This doesn't make any sense when thousands of people pay many hundereds of dollars for joysticks/gamepads accross the world. If you are not going to make the effort, say so and please explain why. If you cannot for some reason, pay these guys that are working so hard to improve your product for you so that they can do it properly.

Thank you.

Greg Mitchell
Mechanical Engineer
If it ain't broke, I haven't gotten to it yet.
mrbean

Support for Centrafuse carputer Frontend

Post by mrbean »

Hello Jwick,
I am an avid carputer enthusiast, and would like to know if you could liaise with David from Fluxmedia, the forum-thread for the SpaceNavigator/SpaceTraveler questions are here

They develope a frontend for Carputer use, called Centrafuse, and there is a big global following for this software - what we need is a decent input device to control this frontend, and many of use are using the SpaceNavigator or SpaceTraveler.

David is the owner, and he has responded very positively in the forum-thread listed above, I will also point them to this thread here - it would be great if you guys work together to make this a reality for us users - well, a little distant from 3d applications, but not less interesting none the less.

Over here is another big carputer enthusiast website with some discussions regarding the SpaceNavigator in carputer use

Would appreciate if you guys can look into this.

Kind regards,
Phillip aka Mrbean
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi mrbean (something I never thought I'd say),

Sure. I'd be glad to help. There are a lot of interesting posts in that thread. I liked the way one guy took the device apart and made a stiff foam base to dampen out the car movements. Bobble-headed I think he called it -- great name.

Do you want to PM me David's email address?

Jim
3Dx Software Development
cabriobob

Post by cabriobob »

I too use this Centrafuse program together with a spacetraveler & rbc9 drivers (which give me a blue screen every now and then - not very handy in a moving car and no keyboard)

Saw this thread some time ago already, thought it was time to respond now :-)
cabriobob

Post by cabriobob »

mrbean, your link (spacenavigator in carputer use) doesn't work over here.
There are lots of spacenavigator threads on MP3car.com, which one are you aiming at ?
mrbean

Post by mrbean »

@ CabrioBob: Oops, I bungled it - it was just a search-result from Mp3Car for keyword "SpaceNavigator", anyway, the main link is there, so the guys can just search and get all the hits.

@ Jim: Thank you for your reply - yes, I've a funny nick, amazingly I'm at 6ft3 and 235 lbs :) My silly wife, you know - rofl - a ncik she gave me when I was still playing Rugby back in South-Africa.
Anyway, I will ask David to forward his direct email address, and send it to you - can you pm me your's too, and I will pass it on.

You guys will be doing the carputer community a great service, thanx Jim!

Have a good Sunday.
MarcelP

Post by MarcelP »

Hello,

I'm also new here.

And I must say this is a great idea! Would be very nice if it would finally an official support for the Space Navigator.

Many thanks cabriobob you have requested it here.

And thanks to jwick for your help! :)

Regards, Marcel.
Glitch

Post by Glitch »

I'm in the process of putting together my first Car PC and I too have purchased the Space Navigator to control Centrafuse.

It would be fantastic if it were to become an "officially" supported device in Centrafuse. Although the previous RC9 driver work is a great achievement in it's own right.

Cheers Glitch
There are many paths to the top of the mountain. But once there the view is always the same.
Salmizar

Post by Salmizar »

I would also like to see support added for CentraFuse. I currently use a Griffin Powermate, but I would prefer the additional features offered by the space navigator. If there was official support, I would upgrade without hesitation.
cabriobob

Post by cabriobob »

@ marcelP

It wasn't me who requested it, it was Mr Bean :-)