Is there a version of 'HIDMouse_Wheel' for mapping WheelLeft/WheelRight to an axis?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Framed_Previz90

Is there a version of 'HIDMouse_Wheel' for mapping WheelLeft/WheelRight to an axis?

Post by Framed_Previz90 »

For example I am able to map wheelUp and wheelDown to an axis by using HIDMouse_Wheel:

Code: Select all

<Axis>
 <Enabled>true</Enabled>
 <Input>
	<ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID>
	<Min>0</Min>
	<Max>511</Max>
	<!-[list]<Deadband>200</Deadband> -->[/list]
 </Input>
 <Output>
	<ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
	<Scale>3.00</Scale>
	<Reversed>true</Reversed>
 </Output>
</Axis>
<Axis>
 <Enabled>true</Enabled>
 <Input>
	<ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID>
	<Min>-512</Min>
	<Max>0</Max>
	<!-[list]<Deadband>200</Deadband> -->[/list]
 </Input>
 <Output>
	<ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
	<Scale>3.00</Scale>
	<Reversed>true</Reversed>
 </Output>
</Axis>
I got HIDMouse_Wheel from one of the pre installed config files, I would like to also map wheelLeft and wheelRight to one of the other axis as well. Is this possible?

Also in the above xml snippet, how is just the use of HIDMouse_Wheel determining the scrolling direction?
I thought <Reversed>true</Reversed> is used to invert the axis physical direction. Maybe its being used for both purposes in this case
jwick

Re: Is there a version of 'HIDMouse_Wheel' for mapping WheelLeft/WheelRight to an axis?

Post by jwick »

You don't need to split that axis to use HIDMouse_Wheel. If you push one direction, it will send a mousewheel event. If you push the other direction, it will send negative mousewheel events.

I've not found a horizontal scroll method that works consistently. Windows defines a Horizontal Mouse Wheel event but I've not found many apps that read it. You can try HIDMouse_HWheel to see if you have better results.

What method do you use with your 2D mouse?
Framed_Previz90

Re: Is there a version of 'HIDMouse_Wheel' for mapping WheelLeft/WheelRight to an axis?

Post by Framed_Previz90 »

jwick wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:56 am You don't need to split that axis to use HIDMouse_Wheel. If you push one direction, it will send a mousewheel event. If you push the other direction, it will send negative mousewheel events.
I dont quite follow you here, what do you mean by "You don't need to split that axis to use HIDMouse_Wheel"?
>I've not found a horizontal scroll method that works consistently. Windows defines a Horizontal Mouse Wheel event but I've not found many apps that read it. You can try HIDMouse_HWheel to see if you have better results.
Thats great, I will give this a try and see what I get on my side, thanks!
>What method do you use with your 2D mouse?
My standard none 3dx mouse? I just use the standard windows left/right scrollwheel, which I assign to my mouse wheel using its manufacturers drivers (Logitech Ghub), it works universally (horizontal scrolling) in just about in programme that I use it on!.