SP Pro ideas...

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Magic Man

SP Pro ideas...

Post by Magic Man »

Some suggestions for the function keys LCD application.

The icons representing the state of the 3 cap axis buttons should be ordered the other way to better match the ordering of the buttons.

Any chance of a view with both sets of 5 buttons on screen at once rather than on two separate pages?

If clicking one of the buttons in the left button cluster switch the screen display to that page, likewise, if clicking a right hand cluster button, switch the screen to that page. Give an option in the app to switch this behaviour on and off

Any chance of some form of user customisation to the app?

With regards the SP Pro hardware. Very nice. Would have been good to have the cable attached to the device via a mini USB socket rather than fixed wired. Perhaps even have a couple of standard USB sockets on there so it can act as a hub.

Some other ideas...

Any chance of a wireless option? E.g. bluetooth or using Logitech's wireless standards with a mini 'nano' style receiver. Retain the USB connection option as above for use wired and for charging. Could have a solar cell around the display area for top-up charging.

The wrist pad area - could have some sort of multi-touch pad there (with suitable logic to disable it when your hand is on it)
Phil999

Re: SP Pro ideas...

Post by Phil999 »

hi Magic Man, I am so free to comment your suggestions:
The icons representing the state of the 3 cap axis buttons should be ordered the other way to better match the ordering of the buttons.
yes, definitely. Not a big issue of course, and I'm sure it will be corrected in future drivers.
Any chance of a view with both sets of 5 buttons on screen at once rather than on two separate pages?
the chances are small I think, we would have to trade readability against comfort. But your next suggestion . . .
If clicking one of the buttons in the left button cluster switch the screen display to that page, likewise, if clicking a right hand cluster button, switch the screen to that page. Give an option in the app to switch this behaviour on and off
. . . I find very ingenious. Good idea.
With regards the SP Pro hardware. Very nice. Would have been good to have the cable attached to the device via a mini USB socket rather than fixed wired. Perhaps even have a couple of standard USB sockets on there so it can act as a hub.
why not? A (standard, not mini) USB socket wouldn't hurt. A hub would be nice too, but as we see enough issues with the ordinary USB function (in the forum there are several issues reported), it is probably better to leave that for the moment. Though, newer OS can handle USB devices better, so this might be an option.
Any chance of a wireless option? E.g. bluetooth or using Logitech's wireless standards with a mini 'nano' style receiver. Retain the USB connection option as above for use wired and for charging. Could have a solar cell around the display area for top-up charging.
personally I prefer cables, and not only because of the power supply. Nice idea with the solar cell though. I think in most cases the device will be positioned near the computer anyway, so I don't see much advantage in wireless.
The wrist pad area - could have some sort of multi-touch pad there (with suitable logic to disable it when your hand is on it)
again, why not (adding an additional touchpad), but I guess this would complicate matters unnecessarily. But having the device recognize if it is in use (hand touching the wrist pad) and switching automatically to the layout screen (left or right panel, depending which button groups are touched) would be de luxe.

Certain control devices for Digital Audio Workstations do have touch control, and I wasn't aware of its advantage until I owned such a device. I touch an encoder of the Frontier AlphaTrack, and the display changes upon touch, and sometimes this is already enough, no action required. When I leave the encoder, the display immediately switches back.
But this is, as mentioned before, de luxe, although the AlphaTrack is relatively cheap compared to the very expensive gear that usually has touch sensitivity.

Constructive and creative thoughts, Magic Man, I couldn't resist to comment. :) The SPP is indeed very nice, for me it (and the other 3dx devices) is the missing man-machine interface I was waiting for. This showed up recently at my place where a netbook didn't respond anymore to a Space Navigator (OS problem). I deleted the otherwise well functioning OS and set up from scratch just to have the Navigator work again. I conclude that the 3dx device is not only useful, it is an integral part of the computer environment.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Thanks for the reply.

Another idea/issue that spings to mind is the key legends.
The 1 to 10 on the left hand cluster are fine since they are totally generic but the others make things more permanent when they shouldn't be. I know they can still be used for any function but it niggles to have a key marked "FIT" or marked with a cap movement diagram but used for something totally different...

Not a big issue granted but the iso1/iso2 legends have no meaning in the software I use the SPP for. Likewise the other legends really don't match to the bindings I use.

Better for me would have been blank keys, further numerics or alphabetical characters or the facility for the keys to have replaceable keycaps (I think oled display keys are a little out of budget). Perhaps I can get some small stickers to put over them so I can use the other keys without my brain saying that the "ESC" and "SHIFT" keys (for instance) should only be for those functions...

Talking about the keys, with regards the key function software, any chance of having additional bindings on the keys and being able to switch between them with a mode key? This could be achieved now with multiple profiles but you'd need to be able to switch profiles via a key on the device rather than a profile being locked to an application.

What about being able to select profiles via the LCD screen options? I.e. either have multiple 'function keys' apps that relate to different profile or, better, have a facility from within the main Function Keys LCD app to switch between profiles - could make use of the square button (this is used in other Logitech LCD apps as a menu key - it opens a config popup in the You Tube app for instance).
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

...with regards the LCD software. Noticed that when the PC is logged out it blanks the screen on the LCD but the backlight remains on. Any chance it could switch the backlight off when it blanks, switch it back on when it reactivates...?
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

another member had the idea to use the up/down menu keys for switching profiles. Someone from the 3dConnexion team said it would be considered in future drivers. I would also like it, although not necessarily.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Yep, shouldn't be hard to do at all. We can already switch between profiles using the 3Dconnexion control panel - we can switch settings in that control panel (e.g. dominant axis, speed etc. via the SP Pro).

What we need is the ability to select and switch between profiles via the SP Pro (and other devices), either by making the functionality available to a mapped button or (better in the case of the SP Pro), via the LCD function keys applet.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

...another thing they could do would be to package up one of the mice from their Logitech side of the fence, perhaps the revolution or nano and sell it alongside with support for both offered via a single config app.

I.e. the profiles cover the 2D mouse programming as well as 3d mouse.