3DSmax 7 performance with Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Buzzz,
3DSmax takes up to 95% of the CPU time. 3Dxware taking the 5% remaining...
This is normal. When applications enter a dynamic mode they should make as much of the machine's resources as possible. That is done to ensure a good quality of the drawn view whilst maintaining a high frame rate (smooth movement).
Only if a system becomes unresponsive -- usually with an application taking 99% of CPU -- is an indication that something is amiss.
Buzzz

Post by Buzzz »

Then why does it only take 25% with a higher frame rate when I move with the mouse?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Then why does it only take 25% with a higher frame rate when I move with the mouse?
I can only speculate since I do not have access to the application. Perhaps the animation is optimised for the normal mouse since you can only pan or zoom or rotate. With the 3D Mouse can do all of that at the same time.
Also, in 3ds Max, the 3D Mouse support is implemented though a plug-in. The normal mouse is supported natively and will have less overhead processing than the 3D Mouse.
Again, the CPU level is not important unless your system becomes unresponsive. Is that the case with you?
Buzzz

Post by Buzzz »

It doesn't get unresponsive, but I get very low (not to say horrible) FPS compared to the mouse movement.

Again, with 3Dmouse the FPS seem to be limited by the CPU load whereas with normal mouse, it seems limited only by the GPU.
Buzzz

Post by Buzzz »

I'm really disappointed not to see more support or feedback.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Buzzz,
I'm really disappointed not to see more support or feedback.
I'm sorry but we thought this matter was closed.

Support for 3D Mice in 3ds Max in done through a plug-in. The most effective approach is to have "native" support. In other words, the application itself should support 3D Mice in pretty much the same as the other, more common input devices (keyboard, normal mouse).

Of course, only Autodesk can make the changes in 3ds Max required to support 3D Mice. We do encourage our customers to make that as obvious as possible to the application editors.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Buzzz

Sorry for the delay...

The fact is, that 3Dconnexion concentrates their efforts to develop support for new releases and new applications. Our advice would be an upgrade, it would for surely bring a performance enhancement...
agoenczi
Buzzz

Post by Buzzz »

Thanks for the answer.
arthurf15

Re: 3DSmax 7 performance with Space Navigator

Post by arthurf15 »

Hey Guys,
some years later the problem is still there. Great achievement .

Also i noticed that in case of mouse usage the Gpu ist runing at 80%. When I swith to the Space navigator its at 0% .
Cpu is working as you already described.

Is ther meanwhile an solution?

PS: I use 3D CAD Software CATIA but the same problem like you.