Annoyed with intrusive 3DConnexion drivers!

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

wvmstr

Annoyed with intrusive 3DConnexion drivers!

Post by wvmstr »

I am an infrequent user of a space navigator on an Autodesk Inventor machine. Been using it probably for 10 years or so.

Early on the navigator worked flawlessly and a new driver every now and then was not a big deal.

Then all of a sudden some new driver insisted that the left and right button's custom assignment for Inventor was not good enough and changed it to open up the 3DConnexion menu. Ok, I changed it back quickly to make these two buttons useful for me. Then after some time it lost those settings and back came the 3DConnexion menu. I must have changed it back 10 times to the way I like it. When I complained on these forums I got a haughty response from someone from 3DConnexion that basically boiled down to "we think this is what you want!".

Now back to the present and again I feel compelled to complain about the driver that stops working if I don't use my space navigator for 7 days. In the last 4-5 months I must have gone through the repair procedure several times. Each and every time my workflow is interrupted and I need to go find the instructions how to fix it.

I wonder what kind of reasoning would transpire before someone decides to build in a 7 day cut off for use. That feels and smells kind of fishy.

And the generous time you took to fix this "bug" adds to the suspicion.

Three letters "F", "W" and "T" and a question mark.
UtaSH

Re: Annoyed with intrusive 3DConnexion drivers!

Post by UtaSH »

Hello wvmstr,

I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with our driver software. The issue with the 7-days-break is fixed in our latest driver version - 3DxWare 10.5.5. If you have this version installed you shouldn't have these problems anymore.

If you map your own functions to the buttons of your 3D mouse they should keep this setting until you change it or until you remove the corresponding files. The settings file for your applications are located in the folder %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3Dxware\Cfg. You could as well take a copy of it and back it up somewhere else to recover the settings in case you have set them back to default unintentionally.

If you have problems with the settings that the driver doesn't keep them I recommend to contact our Technical Support Team. They can do the necessary troubleshooting and if needed escalate it to our engineers.