Sketchup 2018 spaceexplorer

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

PMc

Sketchup 2018 spaceexplorer

Post by PMc »

Hello am hoping for a helping hand

after upgrading from sketchup 2016 to 2018 my spaceexplorer usb stopped working. after much searching of various forums including this one I came across an article suggesting copying the folder and contents of

C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxSketchUp64

to

C:\ProgramData\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\Plugins

no luck. when including 3DxSketchUpExt.rb in the above folder I get an error message(es)

Error Loading File C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp/3DxSketchUpExt.rb
Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `AttachSkpExtension' for TDx:Module>
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp/3DxSketchUpExt.rb:24:in `<module:TDx>'
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp/3DxSketchUpExt.rb:10:in `<top (required)>'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in `require'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in `load'
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.rb:22:in `register_extension'
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.rb:22:in `<module:TDx>'
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/3DxSketchUp.rb:11:in `<top (required)>'

using a fresh install of 3DxWare64_v10-4-3_r2328

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks PMc
UtaSH

Re: Sketchup 2018 spaceexplorer

Post by UtaSH »

Hi PMc,

you have the last driver that offically supports the SpaceExplorer. Which is end-of-life since 5 years and out-of-software-support since 2 years. But this driver (from 2016) does not support SketchUp 2018!

You need at least 3DxWare 10.5.4, but I recommend to install 10.5.5 which is our current driver. You get it here.
We would like to clarify that SpaceExplorer was discontinued in May 2013 2010 and software support was maintained for three years. This means we continued to test the product with all new drivers until May 31st 2016.

After this date, we did not take any steps to stop SpaceExplorer working, but it is not tested with newer drivers. This means we do not list these drivers when you search for SpaceExplorer on the driver download page. However, if you download our latest 3DxWare driver (10.5.5) from our driver download site by searching for another product (I suggest SpaceMouse Pro or SpaceMouse Enterprise), there is a chance it will work fine with your SpaceExplorer and SketchUp 2018. Please be aware that because SpaceExplorer is not tested with this driver we will not be able to offer further technical support (but we hope that is not necessary).