SpacePilot Drivers Changed MAX Camera Behaviour?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Truly

SpacePilot Drivers Changed MAX Camera Behaviour?

Post by Mike Truly »

MAX2010_64, XP x64

OK, this is going to sound weird.

I generally try to keep my SP drivers current. Awhile back I updated to the latest driver and it seems something has changed in the way MAX works with the SP.

On my main workstation, I have a KVM switch to change the keyboard, mouse between two workstations... one that is the MAX/SpacePilot workstation and a different workstation for editing. The SpacePilot sits right there.

What is happening is that periodically, I accidentally hit the SpacePilot knob with my hand (regardless of which workstation I might be using). This hitting of the SP knob is changing the camera in MAX (very slightly) and I don't notice that it's happened.

Later, I go to render something in MAX and when I go to composite the multiple layers together... they don't line up because one of the layers was rendered with a wacked camera which was caused by the way the SpacePilot is working.

The SpacePilot NEVER used to do this, and I never had to do anything special to make the SP NOT do this. I never use the SpacePilot to manipulate cameras in MAX... only to orbit models, etc.

So I'm wondering if there is something that's changed about recent SP drivers that would cause this problem to happen?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Truly Media
http://www.trulymedia.com
Bryan

3DS MAX 2010 Control Settings Help File

Post by Bryan »

Dear Mike Truly

You may have made some changes to your settings. We have a help file that may give you a description of the settings available. It can be found starting with the Windows Start Button, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion Plug-In for MAX 2010.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Thanks for the ideas. I have read the helpfile and it doesn't appear that any changes have been made. I have experimented with the settings and nothing will keep the setup camera from being destroyed if the knob is moved.

Ideally, I want an option to never have a camera moved by the controller knob. Perspective views or ortho views... fine, but not the camera. As it is now, if a camera is selected or the camera view is the active viewport, an accidental touch of the knob will destroy a setup camera position. I have had this happen 3 times on my current project and the only recovery was to merge in the camera from a previously saved version of the scene file.

Suspend Motion is nice, but I haven't had to specifically use it in the past to avoid destroying cameras.

Perhaps my hand has become more clumsy, but this has not happened with previous projects like this.

Thanks again.
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Truly Media
http://www.trulymedia.com
Bryan

3DS MAX 2010 Control Settings

Post by Bryan »

Dear Mike Truly,

So making changes to the

'move camera'
'move scene'
'suspend motion'
'enable autokey animation'

settings made no difference?

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
MarkSun

Re: SpacePilot Drivers Changed MAX Camera Behaviour?

Post by MarkSun »

Although this topic has been around for a while, But I think this issue still bothers many 3dconnexion users.
I use SpacePilot, 3DxWare 10.3.0,3DS MAX 2016

As Mike Truly described it, 3dconnexion made me inadvertently move the camera, even it was just a work desk that was shaken.