Cannot install driver

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rgelen

Cannot install driver

Post by rgelen »

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 v 1709 OS build 16299.192. I attempted to install the 10.5.4 driver package and it informed me that I had to uninstall the existing (working) version, which I did using Programs and Features.

On attempting to install the new driver, I encountered an Error 1001 (which I seem to recall is simply a generic installation error). On clicking OK it rolled back and then indicated an Error 1603 and asked if I wanted to continue.

I then went to Programs and Features and uninstalled the entry for 10.5.4.
I then followed the "full cleanup and re-install" instructions given at
https://www.3dconnexion.co.uk/nc/servic ... 5D=install

I then attempted to reinstall and got the same error(s).

I then followed the clean install instructions again and on attempting re-installation ran into the same issue.

I followed the clean-up instructions again and attempted to install my previous version of the driver (probably 3-16-3_r1447). It claimed that 10.5.4 was installed and had to be removed first. This does not appear to be the case unless the clean install instructions are missing some vital entries? Or is there an additional procedure to carry out in this case?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

--R
UtaSH

Re: Cannot install driver

Post by UtaSH »

Hi rgelen,

I assume that something from the previous installation couldn't be removed correctly. So all you have to do is
  1. Uninstall the new driver (if installed).
  2. Reboot.
  3. Install the previously installed driver.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Uninstall the previous version.
  6. Reboot.
  7. Install the latest version of 3DxWaree.
If this doesn't work I recommend to create log files of the installation process as described here. Then contact our Technical Support Team.
rgelen

Post by rgelen »

Thanks for the procedure listed. I was notified of your post this evening.

My original post wasn't visible due to moderator requirements immediately and after a few days I gave up waiting for this to happen - I never received a reply from Support to the ticket I'd raised either, so I started working on the issue on my own.

What I ended up discovering was essentially exactly what you indicated and I'd recommend this procedure to anyone in the same position as I was. It worked perfectly.

Many thanks.

Best,
--Richard E
yt52nwb

Post by yt52nwb »

Hello, I am having a similar problem with the Wireless Mouse I have just received. I can not install the drivers for the mouse. I'm not able to uninstall any previous drivers as reglen was able to do. I am running Win 10 and trying to install v10-5-5 drivers. It runs through the setup ok until I select the install language and click ok. The InstallShield wizard starts, then I get a message stating SetUp.exe has stopped working, followed by "A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly" and to click to close the program. I do this and two more messages come up saying the same things, after the second click to close, it actually closes. Any suggestions please? Dave.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

See here.