Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

couillar

Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Post by couillar »

What steps do I need to take to use the Space Navigator on my PC with a supported application in a remote desktop session? Can it even be done?
Will Couillard
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi couillar,

Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) does not support forwarding USB devices. You can either use some software that forwards USB devices over the network/ethernet or use Hewlett Packard's Remote Graphics Software (RGS) wich is certified for our devices.

These posts might also interest you:

viewtopic.php?t=1836
viewtopic.php?t=1725

There is also some software out there that forwards USB devices especially for MS RDP.
Last edited by rstadie on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Stadie
couillar

Post by couillar »

Thanks Robert for your reply.

Yesterday after I posted my questions, I did some more searching and found a product that seems to do the job.

It's a two part server/workstation software enabling USB for remote desktop and found it here: http://www.fabulatech.com/usb-for-remote-desktop.html
Will Couillard
BillyStone

Re: Remote Desktop use of local Space Navigator

Post by BillyStone »

I have a positive experience working with Space Navigator in RDP session thanks to second part software. You don't need any cables or hardware. :)
If it is still important for you, maybe this will help http://www.eltima.com/3d-mouse-over-rdp.html
strott

Post by strott »

After looking at the other links in this thread, I went exploring a little bit and found VirtualHere.

I was able to use a SpaceMouse with both Altium and Solidworks while accessing a remote system over RDP.

It seems to be the only solution for this particular problem that is both free and actively developed as of Aug '19. They also make a premium version that can redirect more than one USB device that is still 1/3 the price of the other tools that were linked previously. They are an Australian company if anyone is particular about such things.
Ubergeekseven

Post by Ubergeekseven »

Strott, thank you. I have used the other products and the cost is way more than what it should be. The virtualhere program is free for 1 device and $50 for multi device. It worked within minutes of setting up. Finally an alternative. I could not even find the cost of the HP one until I searched and saw that CDW sells single licenses for $285. That is crazy talk and free is, most of the time, better.

thank you again.
CADUser

Post by CADUser »

@ Strott and Ubergeekseven,

I am trying to use the Virtualhere program you guys suggested, but am having no success. Was there something special either of you had to do to get it to work?

Thanks
ETipler

Post by ETipler »

CADUser and others, I've downloaded VirtualHere and gotten it to start but it doesn't find any of the USB components plugged into the USB Mini-Hub I'm using. It does show the "USB Hubs" link that is shown at the top of the dialog box on the VitualHere website instructions but nothing below it. Any suggestions?
Josh T.

Post by Josh T. »

I'm doing work from home, and I'm definitely interested in getting VirtualHere to work with the remote desktop connection to my work PC that runs NX. So far I have not had any luck. Basically, the window that searches for USB hubs and is supposed to list USB devices never shows any results.

Josh T.
ETipler

Post by ETipler »

Since the above post, I found another thread that better identifies my problem here:https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 25&t=39213. I've since removed VirtualHere (and the other downloaded program to autofind USB Hubs that didn't help.
CADUser

Post by CADUser »

@ ETipler and Josh T.,

I am having the same issue you are with Virtualhere. Unfortunately, I have not found any resolve.
demarcjp

Post by demarcjp »

Free Windows 10 Pro solution.
This works in the office - I am able to remote to multiple PC's with almost full function - for whatever reason the keyboard keys do not work (CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, ESC) I have not tested outside the office.
Run gpedit Computer Configuration/ Admin Template / Windows Components / Remote Desktop Services / Remote Desktop Connection Client / RemoteFX USB Device Redirection
Set Allow RDP to enabled
Then on your remote desktop connection under local resource tab select more on local resources and printers and you should see the 3d mouse in other supported remoteFX.
Once you log onto the remote machine the device will be forwarded, meaning if you minimize and return to your local machine the device will not work. However, while connected to the remote the blue bar at the top of your screen identifying the machine, on the left you should now see a printer - click this and you can clear the check to forward the remoteFX option - this will release the mouse back to your local machine (saves you from having to disconnect each time).
NOTE: I have the same 3d connexion driver installed on both machines.
It is not a 100% solution - but it is 100% free - hope this helps
angiel

Post by angiel »

So I tried your Windows 10 Pro solution steps but when I choose Local Resources/More under my remote desktop connection.
I don't see my 3D Connexion device. It just shows Other Supported Plug and Play Devices, Devices that I Plug in Later.
See attached image. What am I doing wrong? Really need to figure this out. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Local Resources under Remote Desktop Connection
Local Resources under Remote Desktop Connection
IMG_5680.jpg (21.92 KiB) Viewed 83920 times
angiel

Post by angiel »

So I tried what you suggested but it did not show any devices or 3D mouse under the Local Resources of the Remote Desktop Connection. See image. I really need to get this to work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
demarcjp

Post by demarcjp »

Do you have drivers installed on both machines?