Joystick Profile for Windows 7

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

robertmcalister

Joystick Profile for Windows 7

Post by robertmcalister »

Hello,

I could not successfully install the latest driver without errors so I am on 10.0.22. This successfully installed the KMJ emulator v1.0.3.0 I can see in device manager.

In this location:
C:\Users\<MY_USER>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg

There is no JoystickTemplate.xml

Where can I find one? Thank you!
UtaSH

Re: Joystick Profile for Windows 7

Post by UtaSH »

Hello robertmcalister,

in your APPDATA\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg folder there are only those configurations that were created. Once you make changes for an application that doesn't have a default configuration and that doesn't connect with the driver through the known protocols from the SDK a new file is created in this folder with the name of your application. Note that this file only has the new settings that you made and all other settings are taken from the default file in the installation folder %PROGRAMFILES%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg.

Please see as well this post where you can find information how to make a new config.
robertmcalister

Excellent, thank you very much.

I have found the template and followed the instructions. Antimicro now shows up in the system tray and in the header of the 3Dconnexion Properties panel.

OK. So does this mean it's supposed to be sending joystick commands to Antimicro now? Because it isn't. Antimicro recognizes there is a joystick (although it also did BEFORE I completed the joysticktemplate.xml) but does not respond to any actions.

Spacemouse works fine in the 3dxware"Tutorial" app and KMJ emulator shows healthy in device manager.

Ideas?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Antimicro will recognize the KMJ emulator as a joystick because it is there.

Now that you have a cfg that the driver uses while Antimicro is running, all you have to do is tell the driver to send Joystick events when you move the 3D mouse cap. The driver's log file will tell you what is going on. Make sure "Write Log File" is on when you right click the 3Dx systray icon.

In %LOCALAPPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxService.log you should see lines like:

Code: Select all

00000020 17:55:12.969: SendJoystickEvent: Joystick: buttons=0x0, status=0x0, X=25, Y=127, Z=2, RX=0, RY=0, RZ=0, throttle=0, hat=0x0, force=0
00000020 17:55:12.985: SendJoystickEvent: Joystick: buttons=0x0, status=0x0, X=0, Y=127, Z=0, RX=0, RY=0, RZ=0, throttle=0, hat=0x0, force=0
00000020 17:55:13.001: SendJoystickEvent: Joystick: buttons=0x0, status=0x0, X=0, Y=127, Z=0, RX=0, RY=0, RZ=0, throttle=0, hat=0x0, force=0
00000020 17:55:13.017: SendJoystickEvent: Joystick: buttons=0x0, status=0x0, X=-4, Y=0, Z=0, RX=0, RY=0, RZ=0, throttle=0, hat=0x0, force=0
If you don't then the device is not configured to send joystick events.
If you do, but the application is not doing anything, start looking in the direction of the application because the joystick events are being sent to the system. Some applications need to be configured for specific joysticks. Some only handle one joystick type device attached at one time.

It seems that Antimicro is a gamepad emulator? If so, it may have all sorts of tricks up its sleeve to slide in under other devices. It might be better to try to use the KMJ emulator directly with the game rather than through Antimicro. There are other similar products out there that people have reported working well with our KMJ emulator. Search our forum, I forget what they are.
robertmcalister

jwick wrote:It seems that Antimicro is a gamepad emulator?
No it's a mouse and keyboard emulator, converting from joystick axis and buttons. I'm not trying to get a game working, I'm trying to use the Antimicro settings system-wide.

Works like a charm on Linux because Ubuntu sees the Spacemouse as a joystick.

Even if I do get Antimicro listening, I'm thinking now, will it only react when Antimicro has focus? If so, I'm barking at the wrong tree... I need to find a way for Windows to see this as a joystick game controller instead...
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can lock a cfg into use so it doesn't change when you change focus. If you want to move the cursor, you can assign the axes to mouse axes instead of joystick axes.
robertmcalister

jwick wrote:You can lock a cfg into use so it doesn't change when you change focus.
Excellent news. I searched and can find no documentation.

How do you lock the cfg?
jwick

Post by jwick »

There are two problems: A) editing the cfg (the GUI gives you no help), and B) getting the cfg to be loaded. If you don't have an application that gets focus you should change the Desktop.xml cfg (in Program Files/3Dconnexion/3dxware/3DxWinCore64/Cfg) because this Cfg always gets loaded.

It's easiest to copy your joystick changes into this cfg.

Then change the <Grab>None</Grab> to <Grab>Hard</Grab.
Once this is done, the contents of this Cfg will get used all the time. You will see that it is in use in the systray no matter what you do with focus. There are already some mouse axes in there.

With a Hard Grab, the ExecutableName value is ignored. Just setup this cfg the way you want. It will get used all the time.

There is a function to turn on/off the grab that you can assign to a button if you need it.
robertmcalister

Thank you so much. This is working. I have a single cfg file that I can refer to system-wide.

I copied the Desktop.xml into the AppData area and changed:

<Grab>None</Grab>
to
<Grab>Hard</Grab>