3DxWare 10 drivers unusable in large sketchup models

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ezdmanx

3DxWare 10 drivers unusable in large sketchup models

Post by ezdmanx »

I use sketchup for urban design projects with large models where I might need to work up close on one corner of the model or another corner.

When 3D Connexion released the new 3DxWare 10 drivers in 2013 it became impossible for me to work on large models.
The movement of the mouse was extremely jittery, too fast, not able to focus when compared to the old drivers.
I've been using the old drivers ever since and limited to sketchup 2013 but I'm running out of time to find a fix.

Below are two short 1 min videos of the new and old drivers showing how they perform in a 3d model that is small in scale and then becomes large in scale. There is a huge difference.

New "3DxWare 10" Drivers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXH0mNVnak

Old "3dx Software" Drivers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCQxeKBzZ84

Is there any solution to this?

Some notes:
  • At the time the new driver was released I scoured the forums but found no posts highlighting the issue and wonder if it relates to the settings I use. They are: Axis_X Reversed, Axis_Z Reversed, Axis_Y NOT Reversed, Axis_Rx Reversed, Axis_Ry Reversed, Axis_Rz Reversed. Basically the original settings with all axis reversed and zoom direction push in/pull out on device
  • I have tried both drivers on at least 5 different PCs, Operating Systems, Versions of sketchup, Versions of the driver itself. All have identical results to the video.
  • In the videos above I used the exact same AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\SketchUp.xml file
  • I used the 3DxWare 10.2.9 driver in one video and the 3dx Software 3.17.8 driver in the other.
  • I've tried adjusting every speed setting and even Deadband settings in many different combinations but it does not help
UtaSH

Re: 3DxWare 10 drivers unusable in large sketchup models

Post by UtaSH »

Hi ezdmanx,

what settings do you have in Advanced settings for the 3D mouse? In the section "Rotation Center" do you have "Auto" on or off? Do you have "Use Selected Item" on or off?
ezdmanx

Post by ezdmanx »

My settings are listed below. I have no idea why the updown is ticked as reversed in one and not in the other.I just know the device works the exact same way with these settings in the two versions of the driver.

New Driver Settings:

Old Driver Settings:

brad.kharch

Post by brad.kharch »

I am having the same problem with large models. The larger the model the 'jumpier' the motion gets. It is like the driver has a minimum speed for motion and that speed scales up with the physical extents of the model.