In 3ds Max I can't select or snap objects when using 3dmouse

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

lextorlex

In 3ds Max I can't select or snap objects when using 3dmouse

Post by lextorlex »

I can't understand the reasons why it happens, but very very often after navigating viewport in 3ds Max with space mouse wireless I can't select objects/subobjects or snap selection to smth untill I do some navigation with mouse (for example pan a little with MMB). This behavior is unexpected and makes the work unpleasant.
UtaSH

Re: In 3ds Max I can't select or snap objects when using 3dm

Post by UtaSH »

Hi lextorlex,

Maybe your device is sending constantly data (drifting)? Please check as follows:
  • When you have the described situation do not navigate with the standard mouse. Instead right click the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray and select "Calibrate".
  • Go back to 3ds Max and see if the problem still exists.
If the above applies verify the drifting of your device:
  • Start the Viewer from 3D Mouse Home.
  • Move the slider for the speed in the 3Dconnexion properties up to the highest level.
  • Open the "Advanced Settings" and go to the tab "Speed" where you do the same for each axis.
  • Rotate the object slighty and release the cap.
  • Watch if you see the object still moving.
Let me know what you find out.
lextorlex

Post by lextorlex »

Hi, UtaSH.

The calibration didn't help. The model in preview stands still when mouse is not touched. The easiest way to reproduce this in may case is to start rotating in perspective view around two created boxes with cap and try to select one of the boxes with standard mouse during rotation. At some point I can't select or snap no more. I understand that this could happen because of continious rotation, but even if I release the cap I can't select anything untill I do some navigation actions with ordinary mouse
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

I confirm the same problem in Max 2014 to 2016 even with the latest drivers ver 10.2.6 for the wired spacemouse pro. This problem is an absolute nuisance and never seems to get fixed and we are forced to use driver ver 3-17-4 r1540 which works perfectly but does not work for max 2015-2016. Please fix already!
chemosavi

Post by chemosavi »

I was hoping this issue would have been resolved by now. Their tech guys kept asking if I would try this and that driver or solution to see if they worked but when you have 3 or 4 programs with all the buttons mapped this can take hours if not days to redo every time.
This is their job, not mine.
Really hoping another company comes along making a similar product that actually works in the various 3d programs it's meant to.
Unconscionable really to advertise it for 3ds Max.
20 core Xeon Workstation @3.1gz
3 Titan x's
Space Mouse Pro
mdmowry

Post by mdmowry »

Same problem here - grabbing the mouse is getting old!

Windows 10Pro
3dsMax 2015
3DxWare 10.2.9
3DxWinCOre 17.2.9.11812
SpacePilot PRO (firmware 4.11)
rogerchristmas

Post by rogerchristmas »

Same here, please fix this recurring selection problem! Driver version 3-17-4 r1540 is still the only workable version that does not have the selection issue, but is limited to work up to Max 2014 only. Max 2016 is an amazing upgrade but we can't use it properly. PLEASE FIX YOUR DRIVERS TO WORK WITH MAX PROPERLY.

NOTE TO 3D connection - To replicate the error just create a simple scene with 3 boxes and rotate the scene and try and select an object - when you least expect it you won't be able to select a box! - it's really annoying and interferes with our workflow. Please look at version 3-17-4 r1540 for clues as to what has gone wrong with the latest drivers.
chrisheathuk1

Post by chrisheathuk1 »

I also get this problem. Very annoying! I don't have 3-17-4 r1540 and can't seem to find it in legacy drivers. Could some kind soul please send me a link so I can overcome this problem.
Obviously no one from 3dconnexion looks at these forums :)
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi everybody,

I have tried again and again, but it seems I am not doing the right things to be able to reproduce the problem. Even when I navigate I can select objects. I have to admit, that I am not a 3dsmax user at all. I don't know the tips and tricks so maybe I am doing the wrong things. If possible I would appreciate if you could create a video where you explain step-by-step the procedure how to reproduce the problem so that I can see in detail what I have to do. You can send me a link to the video in a PM.

Thanks!
chrisheathuk1

Post by chrisheathuk1 »

Out of interest, when I use max 2016 I no longer have the selection issue.
RomHook

Re: In 3ds Max I can't select or snap objects when using 3dmouse

Post by RomHook »

I know it's a late reply but in my case the same problem disappeared after changing the viewport renderer from dx9 to opengl.