3ds max Auto Rotation Center unusable

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

theedge

3ds max Auto Rotation Center unusable

Post by theedge »

Is it just me or setting Rotation Center to automatic simply makes navigation impossible even in moderately heavy 3ds max scenes ?
The problem starts to show when you have a few thousand objects and is even worst with heavy spline objects.
For eg. when I import a dwg plan and try to use my spacepilot, 3ds max either lags a lot or freezes. I can wait 5, 10 minutes... nothing. I have to restart 3ds max.
If I disable Automatic from Rotation Center then I can navigate smoothly navigate in the viewport.
Sniegson

Re: 3ds max Auto Rotation Center unusable

Post by Sniegson »

I'm not sure if i understand Your problem well but In my case everything works fine:)
theedge

Post by theedge »

Maybe because you do not work with heavy splines ? If so, you probably have never experienced this problem indeed.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

Actually, it is because he is a spammer, and has never touched a 3D mouse in his life.
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
theedge

Post by theedge »

Ah yes I see.
Anyway, I don't know if this has already been reported before. But it is very easy to replicate. In a new scene, you create a shape made of a few thousand splines and try to rotate around. If you have auto center active, depending on the number of splines you will either experience very laggy performance (several seconds lags before the display reacts) or totally unresponsive system.
Would be nice to have a look at this.
Tehrasha

Post by Tehrasha »

I wish I could help. I dont use 3dsMax so cannot test, and as far as I can tell, the forum mods havent returned from the holiday break yet. :(
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
digitalx3d

Post by digitalx3d »

I can confirm, this is STILL an issue. I remember it from many years ago, and recently purchased a wireless Navigator. I LOVE the smooth orbiting, and had forgotten how to fix this problem. I do ArchViz work in 3DSMax and without fail, imported CAD floor plans cause Max to freeze up (for a few minutes) immediately after orbiting in a perspective or orthographic viewport. Only when I hide the Floor Plan things work ok. Oddly, cad elevations turned up on their side don't cause this problem. I am so glad I found this post now, because I just turned of Auto Rotate Center, and now there is no freeze up. And Orbiting around Selected works fine (if not better). I wish 3DConnexion could fix this, but for now I can work without stress, so....
John Pruden
www.digitalxmodels.com
3D Model Marketplace