Alias Maya 7 Support

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

churf

Alias Maya 7 Support

Post by churf »

Hi I am using Maya 7 and need to know whether it is supported before I buy either the SpaceNavigator or the SpacePilot. I see some Linux drivers for 6 and 6.5, and a few posts from ~2007 about Maya 7, but nothing about what specific Maya version is supported in the 3DxWare release notes or supported applications section here: http://www.3dconnexion.com/supported-so ... ware0.html

Thanks for helping, I'm looking forward to using a 3d mouse soon!
Tehrasha

Re: Alias Maya 7 Support

Post by Tehrasha »

Finding drivers for something as old as Maya 7 with today's spacemice is going to be a challenge.
The only model still supported which was around when Maya 7 was current, is the Space Navigator.

According to this thread -- viewtopic.php?f=8&t=793
it looks like Driver v3.2.2 was working with Maya 7, though they do not mention on which OS.

Which environment are you running under?
Spacemice -- Input devices for a 3D world.
churf

Post by churf »

The laptop I got has Windows 7 32bit but I can use XP or Ubuntu/whatever Linux distro if necessary. I learned on Maya 6 back when it was new and last I year took a class using Maya 2013. There is no difference outside of no python, older fbx, a few selection conveniences, and better sculpting. Between Maya 7 and Blender for uv unwrapping there's no reason for me to upgrade yet. I was fortunate enough to find a workstation laptop with Maya 7 on it for $150, back then the licenses were tied to the hardware and not a user account, so an excellent deal.

If at all possible I'd like to stay with Windows 7 or XP, so if anyone has a link to the older drivers I'd appreciate it, I'll probably just grab a SpaceNavigator to start unless I know for sure the SpacePilot would work with Maya 7 in at least Ubuntu or something similar.
churf

Post by churf »

At least I think I can install this to some sort of Linux, it has an OSX install folder backed up somewhere. I'll have to check into that.
churf

Post by churf »

I don't see an edit post button or I'd avoid triple-posting like this, sorry.

3DxWare 10.2.1 only has Maya 8.5+ plugin to install, but there is 3DxWare 3.7.22 in the archive for some of the discontinued devices, not the Navigator or Pilot, that has a Maya 7 plugin.

Is it more like 3DxWare is a universal thing, and not device specific? There is even a SpacePilot pictured in the "getting started with hand positioning" after install, so I can assume that the thing would work in Maya 7. At least I would think so.

I'll make my decision on whether I want to try the SpacePilot, or just the Navigator, and let anyone interested know the results.
churf

Post by churf »

Yeah the Navigator works great, absolutely amazing, thank you. Just use the 3.7.22 drivers from here:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/index.php?eI ... Vista&ap3=

In Windows 7 the installer will warn you about not being tested for the operating system, you can ignore it. I actually tried using 10.1.4 and manually installing the Maya 7 plugin but the new drivers/control panel did not communicate with Maya 7/the 3Dx plugin from 3.7.22.

If I get the Pilot I'll post results. For now the Navigator is just fine, I have a decent wrist rest and am used to going back and forth to the keyboard.