SpaceNavigator, SolidWorks and MS Remote Desktop

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

MadMechanic

SpaceNavigator, SolidWorks and MS Remote Desktop

Post by MadMechanic »

Hello everyone! Here is my situation.

Recently I setup a brand new computer just to run SolidWorks 2014. This machine is accessed via the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection tool.

I also have a SpaceNavigator 3D mouse, this mouse is DIRECTLY, physically connected to the computer that is running SolidWorks. It should go without saying at this point that the two computers I am using are right next to each other in the same server rack. Now, before you go asking why I remote desktop to a computer I'm right next to, lets just say I have my reasons and leave it at that.

Ok, the problem I have encountered is this: whenever I remote connect to the SolidWorks computer, the SpaceNavigator does not work in SolidWorks. It works in its trainer and viewer utilities, but it does not work in SolidWorks itself despite the SpaceNavigator being directly connected to the computer it is being used on.

If I forego the remote desktop connection and connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor directly to the SolidWorks computer, the SpaceNavigator works in SolidWorks.

The 3DConnexion add-in for SolidWorks is enabled in both these situations. I am using the latest driver package from 3DConnexion.

Both computers are running Windows 7 64-Bit Pro.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what my issue could be?
Barbara

Re: SpaceNavigator, SolidWorks and MS Remote Desktop

Post by Barbara »

Hello MadMechanic -

Microsoft Remote Desktop does not forward the output from 3D devices.

You wouldneed remote software like HP RGS that does forward the SpaceMouse Pro output as described here.
-------------
Barbara
MadMechanic

Post by MadMechanic »

Greetings Barbara,

I'm not sure you understood my setup. I have read where people try to use a 3D mouse on their client computer via remote desktop, but in my situation, the 3D mouse is directly connected to the SolidWorks host/server machine.

I would expect that such a setup would bypass the need for a USB forwarding remote client. Or am I indeed mistaken in this assumption?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello MadMechanic,

are you starting both - the driver and SolidWorks - as the same user when you log in remotely? This is needed as otherwise they cannot communicate.
MadMechanic

Post by MadMechanic »

Greetings UtaSH

Yup, I am in fact logging in as administrator account, checking that the SpaceNavigator driver started by running either the trainer program or the Viewer, then launching SolidWorks.

The trainer program, viewer and puzzle applications all operate perfectly.

I double check that the SpaceNavigator add-in is enabled and set to start at SolidWorks launch.
yousaybeoh

Post by yousaybeoh »

Hi,
While I don't have a solution to your problem, I can say you are not alone in your experience. Twice now, my Spacemouse Pro stopped playing nicely with Solidworks on my machine. I chalked up the first error to a software bug and rebooted my computer. But when it happened again (in the same day) I knew something was wrong. It wasn't until I read your post that I realized that both times I had used MS-RDC to connect to my machine (connection was made over our internal network) and that somehow MS-RDC was the culprit.

I dont' have admin right on my machine so I can't do much debugging but I hope you figure it out. Naturally, the only work around I have is to reboot :/

Eusebio
(you-say-be-oh)
RSchorno

Post by RSchorno »

Look at this: http://windowsitpro.com/virtualization/ ... edirection
This solved the problem with SpaceExplorer via Windows Remote Desktop perfectly. :-)
c97bdn2

Post by c97bdn2 »

Hi,

Did this ever get sorted out?
I have the exact same problem but can't seem to figure out a way to get it to work.

I'm running SolidWorks on a Windows 10 workstation and accessing it from an iMac with RDP but have the SpaceNavigator connected to an USB port on the workstation.

/Bo
M5121024

Post by M5121024 »

Hi all,

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue? I have a couple engineers that use MS RDP to access PCs running Windows 10pro. The version of Solidworks they have is 2017 SP 4.1. They are using newer iMacs running Mac OS Sierra. The SpaceNavigator is plugged into the iMac. While in an RDP session the 3Dconnexion Trainer works fine, the teapot moves on all axises and planes, they are unable to manipulate any objects in SolidWorks.
Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Thanks
-M