SpaceNavigator not recognising Altium

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Felix Lun

SpaceNavigator not recognising Altium

Post by Felix Lun »

Hi there. I'm using a SpaceNavigator with the latest drivers and Altium 13.2 (I'm running Windows 7 professional 64-bit SP1), but it doesn't seem to recognise the program properly. When I task to Altium and mouse over the 3DConnexion icon in my system tray (or bring up its properties window) it reports that it's still set for whatever I had focused previously - e.g. Solidworks, Excel, Firefox...
The SpaceNavigator still has some functionality in this "mode" in Altium; pitching it forwards or backwards zooms in slowly and jerkily on wherever my cursor is sitting.

Has anyone else seen this problem before or know what causes it?
Barbara

Re: SpaceNavigator not recognising Altium

Post by Barbara »

Hello Felix -

What is needed is for Altium to recognize that the Space Navigator is present and accept the input from it.

It is Altium technical support that would work with questions about using a 3Dconnexion device inside Altium. It may be that an update is needed for Altium to work well with the 3DxWare driver.

In the meantime, if you are finding that navigation in Altium worked better with the 3DxSoftware driver, 3DxSoftware Release 3.18.0 from 6/5/14 - is available from the legacy link on our downloads page.
--------------
Barbara
Felix Lun

Re: SpaceNavigator not recognising Altium

Post by Felix Lun »

Interesting, I just rebooted again and things are working normally again now. The funny thing is that it didn't work after the first reboot I tried... I'll let you know if I can ever recreate the problem. In the meantime, thanks!