custom profile not selectable

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Keithlostracco

custom profile not selectable

Post by Keithlostracco »

I'm not able to edit or select a profile that uses joystick emulation for the new driver. The profile is in 3DxWare folder but it has no effect....

I can't select the app I'm trying to edit in the 3dConnexion interface?
I can't save a profile?
I can't choose any joystick options?
What was the point of the beat?
(btw the way this not for games....)

I have to say the new driver interface is not very good at all. Removing options and abilities makes me want to find another type of device to use. I've supported 3dconnexion for along time and have owned 3 3dmice but the powers that be make some really bad decisions.

-2 years of users asking for joystick emulation before even starting a beta
-official driver is finally released after testing the beta for 2-3 years and most of the features that made the beta useful are removed?

I have to say whoever is making the decisions is not very aware of the users needs and capabilities. I commend JWick, NGomes and all the other programmers and moderators who have developed the software and who have been very helpful but 3dConnexions management should maybe start thinking about the bigger picture... and listening to people.

Now that I have to spend another couple of hours just to get this device to work maybe I'll just set up my Leap motion controller to replace it...
Keithlostracco

Re: custom profile not selectable

Post by Keithlostracco »

Here a config file that was in my 3dxWare folder. I'm not really feeling like do another search to get the details on how to edit again. Just seems like a lot of time and effort over and over. Also it's 1600 lines long...
Attachments
touchdesigner088.zip
(2.45 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Keith,

Sorry about all that.

I downloaded touchdesigner088. Your Cfg loads and joystick events get sent to it. I have no idea how to do anything useful in TouchDesigner. You gave me a scenario years ago, but I can't find it.

Are you finding that it doesn't work? Or you just want to make changes?

Jim
Keithlostracco

Post by Keithlostracco »

Thanks for checking it out Jim, I apologize but I got frustrated yesterday when my Space Pilot stopped working when I went to use the newest driver to see if it supported and worked with Maya 2015. I've attached a Touch file that uses the joystick to fly around some spheres

To use it:
-double click the project file to open it
-it will open in perform mode so you can just fly around the scene, press the 1 (3d mouse) button to reset the view (if it works)
-press the escape button to exit perform mode where you will see the Joystick operator with it's values and a parameter page to change settings.

I have to admit the new interface is better than the one that came out a couple of months ago but I think there might be some bugs (different bugs for the SpaceNavigator Wireless and SpacePilot Pro)

Here is what I've found so far:

- choosing joystick buttons do not work with the SpacePilot Pro, whether in a profile or just in the 3dxWare UI (actually choosing them works but no events are transmitted) they do work though for the Navigator Wireless
- the 3dxWare UI application menu has no options to edit other apps (only Any Application appears)
- zoom direction toggle has no effect for either device they are both stuck on Z axis being up/down etc... (it does appear to be selected in the UI it just has no effect on the output)
- removing/editing the TouchDesigner088 config file (created from the older beta driver) has no effect, and is not selectable by the UI

Thanks
Keith
Attachments
3dxCamera.zip
(58.49 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Keithlostracco

Post by Keithlostracco »

One thing I just noticed after reinstalling the older beta driver.

The same problems exist when either "default" or "3Dconnexion SpacePilot Pro 3dMouse" are selected in the Joystick Source menu in Touch. When the third option "Edconnexion KMJ Emulator" everything works fine.

Maybe this will help.

thanks
Keith
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Keith,

I'm not surprised the SmartUI doesn't handle your Cfg properly. It was built with a different user in mind.

Just let me know what you want changed and I'll change it for you.

I've attached your file with the SPP set the same as the SN. I noticed that you have the Fit under the Menu button, and vice-versa. If that's not the way you want it, let me know and I'll change that also.

Yes, I assume TouchDesigner has to be using the KMJ Emulator (Keyboard, Mouse, Joystick) device.
Attachments
touchdesigner088.7z
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Keithlostracco

Post by Keithlostracco »

Hi Jim thanks for help.

Mostly I just need the buttons to work. I can easily reverse and swap axis but if the button is registering I can't do much with that.

For the Spacemouse Wireless I just need to swap ty with tz and ry with rz and reverse ry.

For the SPP I need to do the same as SMW above but I also need to get all the buttons working as joystick buttons. Ideally I would like to map all the buttons to joystick button except for the keyboard buttons (Esc, Ctrl, Alt and shift.

BTW that's a huge bonus that you made many joystick buttons available for assignment now.

Also I don't mind editing the profile, it just didn't seem to have any effect. Also the new UI didn't seem to be able to make a new profile. (that profile was originally created with the beta 3dxWare)

Thanks!
Keith
jwick

Post by jwick »

I'm not sure if we support more than the 4 joystick buttons and the hat "buttons" (N,E,S,W).

You can try adding 4 more buttons by adding the following additional ButtonActions to see if they are read by TD088.

Code: Select all

<ButtonAction Type="Joystick">
      <ID>HIDJoystick_5</ID>
      <Name>STR_JOYSTICK_5</Name>
    </ButtonAction>
      <ID>HIDJoystick_6</ID>
      <Name>STR_JOYSTICK_6</Name>
    </ButtonAction>
      <ID>HIDJoystick_7</ID>
      <Name>STR_JOYSTICK_7</Name>
    </ButtonAction>
      <ID>HIDJoystick_8</ID>
      <Name>STR_JOYSTICK_8</Name>
    </ButtonAction>
The smartUI will not create profiles for you. It may be able to make some small changes, such as reassign buttons... It's just not meant for users like you.