Applications Listed Twice and Removing Them

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

josh.nelson

Applications Listed Twice and Removing Them

Post by josh.nelson »

I am new to this forum, but have been using a 3Dconnexion device for a while.

Today I am having some issues with Autodesk Fusion and the SpaceMouse. I am not sure which is the issue. I went to my preferences to see if there was anything I could change (like remove and then re-add Fusion to 3Dconnexion). In any event, I notice two things. FIrst, there is an option to add applications, but no option to remove. Second, some applications are listed twice (see screenshot).

I have no idea if this causes any problems, but it seems strange to me.
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 15.36.30.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 15.36.30.png (188.36 KiB) Viewed 8597 times
My two questions:

1) Is it possible to remove applications?

2) Why are some listed twice? Could this cause any issues?
mhackney

Re: Applications Listed Twice and Removing Them

Post by mhackney »

Did you ever get the root issue resolved? I ask because after several years of flawless service my Space Navigator is not working in Fusion 360, Photoshop, Rhino CAD or Google Earth - all but Rhino are supported apps. The SN works perfectly on a windows 10 desktop so it is not a hardware issue. The device stopped working on Thursday last week and the only thing I can correlate it to is a few OSX updates were made earlier in the morning as shown in system info Installation log:

Remote Desktop Client Update
XProtectPlistConfigData
Chinese Word List Update

I've reinstalled the driver, rebooted, etc. Oddly, after a reboot the SN does work for about 15 seconds and then stops. I have to reboot and quickly launch the Demo app and it will work and the just stop shortly after.
cmaz

Post by cmaz »

I have the same issue: Adobe Acrobat Professional, Adobe Reader, Autodesk Fusion 360 all showing up twice with different settings between the duplicates. I cannot remove the duplicates.

On another note, having switched from Windows to Mac recently, the Mac 3dxware driver is abhorrent in comparison to the windows version. It is extremely time consuming and frustrating to make the changes necessary to make my controller usable.
cmaz

Post by cmaz »

The process worked for me after several attempts, but proceed at your own risk:

The problem with the duplicate entries seems to be tied to modification of application specific settings. When modifications are made, the changes are saved as a duplicate entry in the 3dconnexion mappings configuration file. This leaves the user with two different configurations for a specific application, which renders user made changes un-usable. To fix this, I deleted the configuration file:

~/Library/Preferences/com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist

It took several attempts along with a reboot for this to stick. It seems that the 3dxware driver regenerates the configuration file when you open the dialogue box. Below is an example of the duplicate entries in the configuration file.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 7.05.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 7.05.02 PM.png (202.87 KiB) Viewed 8139 times