How to set up for SketchUp use?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

adt2

How to set up for SketchUp use?

Post by adt2 »

Hiya - Longtime SpaceMouse Pro owner, first-time poster. (Mostly because I just dug it out of a box and decided to try it again, after my initial few days' of playing with it resulted in more frustration than anything else. I'm close to putting it back in the box again.)

I'd like to be able to use my SpaceMouse Pro with SketchUp. Initially, I'd just like to use the knob to pan left/right/up/down (relevant to the view on-screen), and use the buttons for Top/Front/Right and Zoom to Fit. If I can get just those items working, then I think I can get used to the device, and maybe I'll be able to slowly add other functions to it.

Right now, though, I can't figure out how to set it up that way. Currently, I'm using the default settings because I can't figure out the preference panel, and the "Manual" button just opens a blank window (that's helpful, thanks). In "Object" mode, tilting the knob left makes the model go left, but tilting right doesn't do anything (in fact, there's no way to get the model back without using "Fit"). In "Helicopter" mode, tilting the knob left makes the model go right, but there's no way to bring it back left again (tilting right appears to make the model zoom, and go down).

All I really want is to pan. To tilt, no twist, no rotate about an axis. Possibly zoom in/out, but I'd be happy with just Pan for now. Any idea how to set that up?
UtaSH

Re: How to set up for SketchUp use?

Post by UtaSH »

Hello adt2,

the preference panel can be accessed through the System Preferences -> 3Dconnexion. There you will find under Tools a button for Demos. Please open the 3D Demo and verify if you have the same weird behavior with the wooden cube. If yes, I recommend to contact our First Level Technical Support Team as your device might be faulty. If it is still under warranty they will help you to verify the issue and start the RMA process for you.