Buttons broken on 10.1

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

sejoki

Buttons broken on 10.1

Post by sejoki »

Hi. I've been using the 3DX ware beta for about a year now and in fact, it's the reason I bought the SpaceNavigator. I've been on 10.0.14 until today, everything was working the way it should until I updated to 10.1.

I thought since it's a .1 release, there wouldn't be any major issues with the software, but apparently the way buttons work has been changed. First off, it deleted all my previous settings for the L and R buttons - not just the any application settings, but in every profile for every software.

Since I used them for switching spaces in apps that have no CAD use, that's the first thing I changed back to type a keystroke with control+left/right. It didn't really work, so I tried different options, the radial menu, system control, all turned out to be non-functional.

I tried Rhino, since it has its own (bad) implementation of how the mouse works and the buttons are still executing the commands I set in Rhino. I just can't change them for other applications anymore.

I'm on OS X 10.9, have the basic SpaceNavigator with 3DX ware 10.1.0 and in the about screen it says my firmware is on 4.04. Don't know what it was before…
HcRev

Re: Buttons broken on 10.1

Post by HcRev »

Just got the SpaceNavigator NB and tested it out today:

OSX: 10.9
Driver: 3DxWare 10 (v. 10.1.0)
SN NB Firmware v: 4.35

Tested in Maya 2013, Safari, Photoshop CS5

Problem:
Cannot assign custom functions to button 1 (Left: Popup menu) or button 2 (Right: Fit).

What I'm doing:
As an example, I go into 'system prefs' --> '3DConnexion' --> In the 'Configure' dropdown I choose 'Maya' --> In the 'Buttons' tab I assign 'Button R' to 'Right click'.

Conclusion: When in Maya I press button 2 (R button), it still does: 'Fit' instead of the newly assigned 'right click'. This happens with any newly assigned function on any application.

Is this a bug? or (hopefully) something wrong I'm doing/not doing? Not really worried about button 1 as I find the popup menu useful, but would like to customize button 2! Maybe a reset? if so, how?

Thanks in advance and happy christmas :D
HcRev

Post by HcRev »

Here is a temporary solution that's working for me. I hope staff reads this post and can comment on the problem (maybe I should send out a ticket?)

This is a guide that attempts to both underline the problem and provide a temporary solution.

For:
- SpaceNavigator NB
- OSX: 10.9
- Driver: 3DxWare 10 (v. 10.1.0)
- SN NB Firmware v: 4.35

Accessing SN settings:
system preferences --> 3Dconnexion - OR - Applications --> 3Dconnexion ---->3D Mouse Home --> Properties

Within the SN settings window:
- Navigate to the 'Buttons' tab.
- Map 'Button L' and 'Button R' to desired parameters.

The Problem
After mapping either of the two buttons (i.e. assigning new functionalities to either) the changes seem to NOT take effect. Infact, whatever parameters are newly assigned to either button, when pressed (within any application), they still output the default values assigned from factory settings (i.e. 'Button L' = Popup Panel, 'Button R' = Fit).

What Happens
Through some fidgeting I discovered this:

This xml file - 'com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist' (found in Users/mac/Library/Preferences/) provides a full list of all current mappings of the SN. Also, macros are stored here as well as mappings for each individual application.

When (through the SN settings window):
- a new parameter is assigned to any of the axes or buttons of the SN
- a new macro is created
- device settings are modified (speed, isDominant)
- radial menus are created or modified
this 'plist' file is altered reflecting the new modifications.

Each button and axes has its own ID defined within the tags: <key> (e.g. <key>01</key>, <key>02</key>, <key>03</key>, <key>1050</key>, <key>1051</key>....). Within each ID tag are enclosed the mapping details for that ID.

Focusing on the problem:
The ID's for the SN buttons that reflect the changes made through the SN settings window are as follow:
- <key>46</key> = Button L
- <key>47</key> = Button R
Therefore, when you modify the parameter assigned to, for example, Button L in the SN settings window, the parameters enclosed in the <key>46</key> tag are altered to reflect the changes made.

Note: Make sure to check (in the SN settings window) which Application you are configuring before locating the ID's as the .plist 'mapping' file holds custom parameters for <key>s 46, 47 for each individual app.

What seems to be the problem is that the <key>s 46 and 47 DO NOT pass parameters to the two buttons (L and R) on the SN hardware. This means that the two (L, R) configurable buttons appearing in the SN settings window do not match the actual buttons on the SN, infact, the two buttons on the SN hardware retrieve parameters from the <keys>s 14 and 15 respectively (Button L = <key>14</key>, Button R = <key>15</key>). At this point what I did was to copy the parameters for <key>s 46 and 47 and paste them (replacing) the parameters for <key>s 14 and 15 respectively. (46 --> 14, 47 --> 15). Below is a step-by-step that describes the process.

!Important! : Please follow all steps as I have had some issues especially when altering the plist file while having the SN settings window open.

The temporary solution: Follow these steps in order

1. Open the SN settings window
2. Choose the Application you need to configure from dropdown menu labelled 'configure'
3. Navigate to the 'Buttons' tab
4. Map 'Button L' and 'Button R' to the desired parameters.
5. Close the SN settings window

6. In Finder navigate to the folder: Users/mac/Library/Preferences/
7. Perform a search in "Preferences" or scroll down until you find the '.plist' file: 'com.3dconnexion.mappings.plist'
8. Open the plist file in a code editor or text editor (TextEdit works fine).
9. Locate the settings for the Application of interest
(e.g.
<key>application</key>
<string>Maya</string>
)
10. Scroll down to find the <key>s 46 and 47 of the Application of interest. Note: these keys will hold the new parameters you added through the SN settings window.
11. For <Key> 46: Copy to clipboard ALL and ONLY the parameters within the <dict> tag
(e.g.
<key>cmd</key>
<integer>11</integer>
<key>hash</key>
<integer>14</integer>
)--> Paste in the same location within the <key> 14

12. Repeat for <Key> 47 but paste within <key> 15
13. Save file. Close Editor

14. Reopen the SN settings window (I am not sure why, but for the copy/paste changes to be effective this step needs to be done).
15. Close SN settings window and go test those buttons in your Application!

Again, this is not an ideal way to go change those button mappings but it is a quick fix that will allow you to enjoy your SpaceNavigator during the holidays if like me you are having this problem. Hopefully when the holidays are over the 3Dconnexion staff will come across this post and provide a better solution :D

PS: If I haven't made myself clear in describing stuff or the steps are not working out for you, please let me know!
marcbob

Post by marcbob »

Don't know if this helped the OP, but it just solved it for me, thank you.

Would be good if there was a proper fix for this issue coming soon?!
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello HcRev,

thanks for letting us know your observations. And thanks for the detailed description. Sorry for not coming back to you earlier.

The issue you describe exists for the SpaceNavigator for Notebooks and for the SpaceNavigator. We are tracking this issue internally with bug number #6608.
mcolinp

Post by mcolinp »

I just downloaded The latest driver: 10.1.1; and this is still a problem. I thought it would be fixed with a new driver release.
HcRev

Post by HcRev »

Just downloaded the new driver and I'm pleased to confirm that (at least for me) THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED. Thank you staff. The L/R buttons now map correctly!

Tested with:
- Finder (works under the "Any Application" Settings)
- Maya 2012/2014
- Safari
- Komodo Edit (works under the "Any Application" Settings)
- Microsoft Word/Excel

@ mcolinp: With what app are you having problems with?