How to start 3dxsrv without typing password?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

skyechraebs

How to start 3dxsrv without typing password?

Post by skyechraebs »

Hi,

I have three questions about start etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv that I didn't find answered in this forum yet:

1) Why needs the 3dxsrv driver write permission on usb (that's why it needs admin rights, isn't it?)

2) What happens if I start the driver in init.d (ubuntu 11.10) but the 3dConnexion device is not plugged in yet? Do I you have to start the driver manually as soon as I plugged in the device?

3) Is there a possibility to start 3dxsrv without typing the password for admin rights (on Ubuntu)? Especially, I intend to launch the driver out from a open source Qt project by using QProcesshttp://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qprocess.html. At the moment it works like this with gksudo which pops up a window with password request:

Code: Select all

QString processProgramm = "gksudo";
        QStringList processArguments;
        processArguments << "/etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usb";
        QProcess* process3dxDaemon = new QProcess();
        process3dxDaemon->start(processProgramm, processArguments);
But in favor of convenience (and of the delay of starting the program when waiting on user's password input) it would be great if I can directly call 3dxsrv without gksudo. Changing the permission with a udev rule like this failed, i.e. I still have to call sudo!

KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c603", SYMLINK+="input/spacemouse", GROUP="plugdev", MODE="664"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c623", SYMLINK+="input/spacetraveler", GROUP="plugdev", MODE="664"
KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c626", SYMLINK+="input/spacenavigator", GROUP="plugdev", MODE="664"

matthias@matthias-PC:~/skye/qgroundcontrol$ /etc/3DxWare/daemon/3dxsrv -d usbError: Access Error! To get access to /dev/bus/usb/006/002 you have to be user: root!
Error: Access Error! To get access to /dev/bus/usb/006/002 you have to be member of group: root!
[2012-04-14 14:35:52] Error: Could not open USB port or no supported device found! Exiting!
Thank's a lot for any answers=D
UtaSH

Re: How to start 3dxsrv without typing password?

Post by UtaSH »

See here for the discussion.