xserver 1.5.x, HAL and 3dxware

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on UNIX and Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

arcangeli

xserver 1.5.x, HAL and 3dxware

Post by arcangeli »

Dear all,

I'm a ArchLinux user but my problem is not relevant to a distribution but is related to HAL, xserver 1.5.x and hotpluggin.

Since the xserver 1.5.x update, my spacenavigator is recognized as a standard pointer (like a mouse) but was ok before (xserver 1.4.x without hotpluggin).

I've tried with other distribution like fedora and ubuntu (which use xserver 1.5.x now) with the same problem.

Please, make a HAL and xserver hotpluggin compatible driver (or hal fdi).

Thanks
nuclear

Post by nuclear »

In order to make the X server ignore the space navigator and not use it automatically as a pointer device, try adding the following file in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/:

Code: Select all

<xml>
<deviceinfo>
    <device>
        <match>
            <remove>
        </match>
    </device>
</deviceinfo>
nuclear

Post by nuclear »

hmmmm obviously the above wasn't posted correctly, anyway just copy the fdi policy file from my FAQ: http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/faq.html#faq11
pyalot

Post by pyalot »

Ubuntu users have the same problem with X hotplug, see this post and this post

There is a launchpad bug about it too
dmartin

Post by dmartin »

I'm having a similar problem on OpenSuse 11.1. I added the .fdi file to prevent the issue of x11_driver key but my SpacePilot is still behaving as a normal mouse.

My question is. What else is involve in using the SpacePilot as a mouse?. Theoretically, if the x11_driver key is removed the X-server should not try to configure that device. The key seems to be properly removed but there is no effect. I'm using X.org 1.5.2 and my xorg.cong was automatically produced by nvidia driver installation.

Any help will be welcomed.

Many thanks in advance

Kind Regards
david